Mac VS Windows VS Linux

Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

*** Thread locked ***

We don't allow such open-ended threads as they have higher tendency to lead into issues. If you are looking for solution for certain situation, hardware or software wise, please include such or other details on why you are asking the question or making the topic.

No trolling or flame-bait.      This includes topics such as AMD vs NVIDIA, "company X sucks", and religious debates 

Windows VS Mac VS Linux  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best?

• Mac
    • Windows
    • Linux

2 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

Depends.

Yeah, for example:

Code: Mac

Gaming: Windows

I'm a Windows-person, and second a Linux-person. 

The closest I ever come to Mac, is my iPhone, which is my company mobile, that I didn't choose myself, haha

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1.TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

The answer will vary by everyone and their use case. Plus what they have used in the past.

For me though, they all come on top in certain areas:

• macOS wins at aesthetics and integration with hardware and the wider ecosystem
  • Windows wins for pure functionality and ease of use, plus new versions of Windows can still run on ancient hardware
  • Linux wins for having such a wide range of choice that neither Windows nor macOS gives you

They also lose in certain areas too (again, in my opinion):

• macOS is a difficult OS to get into, plus software compatibility just doesn't match Windows, it's also more likely that your computer will be left running an older version when Apple chooses, and you don't get to pick and choose your hardware like you do with a Windows or Linux laptop or desktop
  • Windows 10 has so many inconsistencies in it's design (hopefully fixed in 11) and needless tracking
  • Linux is incredibly difficult for the average user to get into, and software compatibility is an issue again, plus you generally don't have the backing of a large company like Microsoft or Apple (which can be good, but it can also mean that updates become inconsistent and you're exposed to more security risks). Linux generally gives worse battery lives on laptops compared to Windows and macOS

That said, if you put a £3000 MacBook, £3000 Windows laptop and £3000 Linux laptop in front of me, I'd choose the Windows laptop any day. Just down to my use case and the programs and games I use, plus I've used Windows for so long now I can't ever really see myself switching (unless macOS suddenly supported all my software).

On the subject of Windows, my opinion of it has been boosted ever so slightly by the new macOS and Linux like design hints in the leaked Windows 11.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

Just now, Arika S said:

There is no "best"

it completely depends on what you need it to do.

Each OS has their place.

Yeah!!!

Depending on what you use it for!!!

I prefer Linux over Windows (but I must admit that windows is way better today than in the XP and Vista days)

I prefer MacOS over Linux since it has a lot of the stuff that makes Linux but actually works without fiddling it to death. 

MacOS is limited to Apple hardware without really annoying workarounds, hackintosh is an option but part of what OSX relies on is Apple hardware.

Windows refuses to leave you alone and doesn’t respect the command of the operator, and heavily limits you to work within the playpen that it gives you and not stray from it.

Linux is incredibly unstable and has a lot of issues with specific hardware not working for either not being supported, or being supported by one guy who made a hacked together barely functional driver 8 years ago.

tldr they all suck, if I had to pick one OS to use forever it would be windows vista ultimate 32 bit, an OS that still has most of the freedom of XP and 2000, while having more advanced options like 7, and a UI designed by gods 

I say this entirely unrioncally, vista is peak windows 

36 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

Depends.

I'm old just not that old.

But suit yourself.

For decades I have heard:

- "forget -old- Windows, -new- Windows is actually good." Still not true with 10 (but heh there is hope once they go to 11) but it is the 1st it's bearable

- "this year Linux is gonna explode onto the desktop". Still the same 90% there it ever was.

- "Macs just work". They kinda do, unless they don't

Best compatibility - Windows

Best utility - Windows/Linux

Best customizability - Linux

Best stability - Linux/MacOS

Best resource management - Linux/MacOS

Best battery life - I believe Windows? (it's subjective)

Best user-friendly working out of the box-ability - you guessed it - MacOS.

Overall it depends on what you want. If you're willing to put in the work, then maybe Linux is the best as you could do anything, but run certain Windows native programs. 

If you want to just use a machine and not be bothered much - MacOS.

If you're somewhere in the middle - Windows.

I personally like Linux more than Windows and would prefer to use it but I'm stuck with Windows due to software compatibility based ot .net and I play a few games that aren't on steam. 

*** Thread locked ***

We don't allow such open-ended threads as they have higher tendency to lead into issues. If you are looking for solution for certain situation, hardware or software wise, please include such or other details on why you are asking the question or making the topic.

No trolling or flame-bait.      This includes topics such as AMD vs NVIDIA, "company X sucks", and religious debates 

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv