Onkyo TX-NR616 | Sub out issue

Go to solution Solved by circeseye,
10 hours ago, abass44 said:

@circeseyejust tried the rca to 3.5mm and connectedtnrough my phone. It had audio come through, but it was fairly soft and was really clear. Is it mean to come through clear? When I say not clear it sounded kind of distorted.

if you had to crank the volume low sides out
soft and distorted yea low side is done
if low side was working it would be loud and clear with very little volume

Hi, 

I have been trying to work this out for awhile now with no progress. I have connected rca from the subout ports to the L and R input on the back of my Sub (Torpedo Digital SW-333) and I can't seem to get any Sub audio. 

The green light comes on, on the Sub.  Sub is turned on, in the reciever settings. 

However, if grab a rca cable where I have cut the ends off, terminated bannana plugs and plug them to the left and right speaker out.  The Sub gets audio. 

I had also tried wiring the Sub to my old reciever and it also doesn't put audio out to my Sub. 

I am completely clueless as to what else to try. So any help on this would be great.

Thank you in advance.

can you post pic of the back of your sub so we can see the connections......i tried looking it up and get nothing

also what receiver are you using

24 minutes ago, circeseye said:

can you post pic of the back of your sub so we can see the connections......i tried looking it up and get nothing

also what receiver are you using

Hi circeseye,

Please find attached the back of the sub. I have also added the make and model sticker and a picture of the connect of the receiver. 

The receiver is "Onkyo TX-NR616

Back of SubSub DetailsOnkyo TX-NR616

11 hours ago, abass44 said:

if grab a rca cable where I have cut the ends off, terminated bannana plugs and plug them to the left and right speaker out.  The Sub gets audio. 

If that's the case then the subwoofer seems to be working, problem is likely with the receiver. Check settings like bass level, speaker level for the subwoofer, crossover frequency, whether you are using a subwoofer (you mentioned sub is turned on in settings, I'm guessing this is what you meant but wouldn't hurt double checking), and just browse through the settings to see if anything stands out. Resetting the receiver could potentially fix things, but if you have a lot of custom settings set up that will probably be one of the last things to try. 

1 minute ago, The_russian said:

If that's the case then the subwoofer seems to be working, problem is likely with the receiver. Check settings like bass level, speaker level for the subwoofer, crossover frequency, whether you are using a subwoofer (you mentioned sub is turned on in settings, I'm guessing this is what you meant but wouldn't hurt double checking), and just browse through the settings to see if anything stands out. Resetting the receiver could potentially fix things, but if you have a lot of custom settings set up that will probably be one of the last things to try. 

I have done all that. Should had mentioned that in the original post. Factory reset was the last thing i did and re did all the settings.

Might be a stupid question, but is the sub powered or passive? I couldn't find any information on the sub at all which is weird. 

Just now, The_russian said:

Might be a stupid question, but is the sub powered or passive? I couldn't find any information on the sub at all which is weird. 

Its powered. 

Yeah i wasn't able to find any info neither. But i can tell you, its most likely about 15 years old. 

looking at your pics yea its hooked up right. yet low level wont work? hmmmmm

on the sub try turning the auto on switch to just on.
also better quality rca's (not sure how long the cable is). i had to go coaxle rca for my sub. regular wired rcas signal was to weak so the "auto" on wouldnt turn on most of the time
last a missed setting in the avr but you fac reset so maybe not

or that portion of the sub amp has failed.

3 hours ago, circeseye said:

looking at your pics yea its hooked up right. yet low level wont work? hmmmmm

on the sub try turning the auto on switch to just on.
also better quality rca's (not sure how long the cable is). i had to go coaxle rca for my sub. regular wired rcas signal was to weak so the "auto" on wouldnt turn on most of the time
last a missed setting in the avr but you fac reset so maybe not

or that portion of the sub amp has failed.

Have tried auto on switch to be on and no change. The power LED does turn to green just no sound.

I have tried other cables with no change as well. Even made my own 2 RCA to 1 RCA.

Yeah I have gone over every setting in the receiver. 

If the amp on the Sub had failed, wouldn't mean, when connecting the Sub to left and right speaker output not work? (Listed in main post) 

Really hope this thread doesn't go dead after this since I'm starting to feel like I have covered everything so far. 

Is there a way to measure the sub out with a multi meter? I was not able to work out what setting to use if there was, hence the question.

50 minutes ago, abass44 said:

Have tried auto on switch to be on and no change. The power LED does turn to green just no sound.

I have tried other cables with no change as well. Even made my own 2 RCA to 1 RCA.

Yeah I have gone over every setting in the receiver. 

If the amp on the Sub had failed, wouldn't mean, when connecting the Sub to left and right speaker output not work? (Listed in main post) 

Really hope this thread doesn't go dead after this since I'm starting to feel like I have covered everything so far. 

Is there a way to measure the sub out with a multi meter? I was not able to work out what setting to use if there was, hence the question.

no it just means the low input side of the amp went out (it happens).
BUT....heres a way to test the low in...do you have ANY device (dvd player, vhs, anything with rca outs? hell even your phone 3.5 to rca (doesnt need to be turned up..just enough to get sound out to it)

56 minutes ago, circeseye said:

no it just means the low input side of the amp went out (it happens).
BUT....heres a way to test the low in...do you have ANY device (dvd player, vhs, anything with rca outs? hell even your phone 3.5 to rca (doesnt need to be turned up..just enough to get sound out to it)

Even though i plugged the RCA end into the Low Input on the sub? 

I might have a DVD player somewhere as i haven't used one in who knows how long. I am fairly sure I have a 3.5 to 2 RCA as well. Will have to wait to get home to do this as i am at work. (8 hours from now) 

1 minute ago, abass44 said:

Even though i plugged the RCA end into the Low Input on the sub? 

I might have a DVD player somewhere as i haven't used one in who knows how long. I am fairly sure I have a 3.5 to 2 RCA as well. Will have to wait to get home to do this as i am at work. (8 hours from now) 

yes. just start the volume low and start to raise it till you hear sound..of nothing happens then yes the low input side of amp went out. if it does work something is up with the avr

2 minutes ago, circeseye said:

yes. just start the volume low and start to raise it till you hear sound..of nothing happens then yes the low input side of amp went out. if it does work something is up with the avr

Okay i will give this ago tonight and let you know. I had connected the sub to my old receive with he same outcome as this one. no low frew audio to the sub. But lets try what you suggest first before going into a corner in a fetal position.

53 minutes ago, abass44 said:

Okay i will give this ago tonight and let you know. I had connected the sub to my old receive with he same outcome as this one. no low frew audio to the sub. But lets try what you suggest first before going into a corner in a fetal position.

hey its a old sub. you can get a pretty decent one between 100-200 bucks.

3 hours ago, circeseye said:

hey its a old sub. you can get a pretty decent one between 100-200 bucks.

If i upgrade the sub, i will end up upgrading all my speakers as well as my current speakers are from a Logitech Z-5500 system

1 hour ago, abass44 said:

If i upgrade the sub, i will end up upgrading all my speakers as well as my current speakers are from a Logitech Z-5500 system

dayam....those are little speakers...and you run them on a avr? id of figured a avr would blow them, they are only 62 watt rms

1 hour ago, circeseye said:

dayam....those are little speakers...and you run them on a avr? id of figured a avr would blow them, they are only 62 watt rms

hha yep, i do.  I have blown on, when i turned them up too loud, but i do plan to repalce them eventually. just have higher priorities at the moment then dumping 2,000 AUD on a whole new setup. 

11 hours ago, abass44 said:

@circeseyejust tried the rca to 3.5mm and connectedtnrough my phone. It had audio come through, but it was fairly soft and was really clear. Is it mean to come through clear? When I say not clear it sounded kind of distorted.

10 hours ago, abass44 said:

1 hour ago, circeseye said:

😭

Now how can I fix this without replacing it? Waa having a look around and the cheapest sub from local stores for me was 400 of bucks. (Jbhifi.com.au & harveynormans.com.au) 

7 minutes ago, abass44 said:

😭

Now how can I fix this without replacing it? Waa having a look around and the cheapest sub from local stores for me was 400 of bucks. (Jbhifi.com.au & harveynormans.com.au) 

well one option is replacing the amp plate..just have to measure the plate size to match
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sub+amp+plate&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

but its still around same price as a complete sub

ooofffff didnt realize your au. your prices are WAY higher

2 minutes ago, circeseye said:

well one option is replacing the amp plate..just have to measure the plate size to match
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sub+amp+plate&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

but its still around same price as a complete sub

Bugger! Guess I'm really shit out of luck for now. Maybe I can search around for a second hand one. Any recommendations?

1 minute ago, abass44 said:

Bugger! Guess I'm really shit out of luck for now. Maybe I can search around for a second hand one. Any recommendations?

ummm hmmmm. cheap and works...also didnt come from a "speaker set"....theres this also...if you find a sub cheap..it works but the woofer is bad, replace the woofer....i put a nice alpine woofer in my sub. waaay better sound

5 minutes ago, circeseye said:

ummm hmmmm. cheap and works...also didnt come from a "speaker set"....theres this also...if you find a sub cheap..it works but the woofer is bad, replace the woofer....i put a nice alpine woofer in my sub. waaay better sound

Okay, looks like I will need to hunt around. Wonder if I can check to see if the woofer itself is still good. Hmm. 

Either way, I appreciate your help.