Thoughts on second hand used M.2 NVME SSD?

Hi all,

I saw a lot of cheap second hand used M.2 (Samsung EVO and stuff like that) on eBay and Facebook market place and I was wondering what are some of the downside of buying a used M.2 drive? If they are any.

Thanks in advance 🙂

2 minutes ago, Carson.C said:

I was wondering what are some of the downside of buying a used M.2 drive?

You dont and wont know about its condition unless the seller attaches a SMART report of that drive on the post or give it to you in which a lot of case of experienced seller wont give to you.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

3 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

You dont and wont know about its condition unless the seller attaches a SMART report of that drive on the post or give it to you in which a lot of case of experienced seller wont give to you.

uh... what is a SMART report?

1 minute ago, Carson.C said:

uh... what is a SMART report?

S.M.A.R.T is basically a report of drive conditions and its overall data of write and read history (usually in count and size), and its power on hours and cycles. It helps you to understand if its still good enough, start backing up just in case, or quickly backup and replace your drive.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

S.M.A.R.T is basically a report of drive conditions and its overall data of write and read history (usually in count and size), and its power on hours and cycles. It helps you to understand if its still good enough, start backing up just in case, or quickly backup and replace your drive.

Is it really difficult to do a SMART report? Like is it possible for me to ask them to do a SMART report?

6 minutes ago, Carson.C said:

Is it really difficult to do a SMART report? Like is it possible for me to ask them to do a SMART report?

Its as easy as installing third party SMART reader like CrystalDiskInfo, but as i stated before its pretty much blowing the condition so wide open many would just walk away - especially with the misleading "threshold" value which isnt really the fault of the SMART reader but its overall erroneous value - so a lot of seller either pretend they dont know, actually dont know, or downright refuse to show.

As long as it reads good at around 98-100% condition with a low power on cycle and hours, and low TBW and write cycle, it should be okay but imo i always stick with brand new drive anyway because a lot of times its not that much of a saving worth doing if i store genuinely important data on it.

25 minutes ago, Carson.C said:

Hi all,

I saw a lot of cheap second hand used M.2 (Samsung EVO and stuff like that) on eBay and Facebook market place and I was wondering what are some of the downside of buying a used M.2 drive? If they are any.

Thanks in advance 🙂

I would be extremely wary of used m.2 drives right now with the recent explosion of Chia crypto farmers. I won't get into the gory details but as you may be aware, SSDs have a limited number of write cycles calculated as Terabytes Written (TBW). Chia crypto farmers can exhaust the TBW of a single consumer SSD in a matter of weeks and you'll only know this by looking at the SMART information. Serious Chia farmers tend to use multiple m.2 drives simultaneously and I imagine once their drives start showing signs of failure, those less honorable farmers will try to pawn those drives off to unknowing individuals.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

I would personally skip secondhand storage myself unless it's just part of a whole computer you're buying.

The cost savings isn't worth the potential for lost data.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 hour ago, SorryClaire said:

Its as easy as installing third party SMART reader like CrystalDiskInfo, but as i stated before its pretty much blowing the condition so wide open many would just walk away - especially with the misleading "threshold" value which isnt really the fault of the SMART reader but its overall erroneous value - so a lot of seller either pretend they dont know, actually dont know, or downright refuse to show.

As long as it reads good at around 98-100% condition with a low power on cycle and hours, and low TBW and write cycle, it should be okay but imo i always stick with brand new drive anyway because a lot of times its not that much of a saving worth doing if i store genuinely important data on it.

Okay so what would be your recommendation of getting a small fast boot drive for cheap? Because I already have a 1TB M.2 but I want that to be my mass storage.

32 minutes ago, Carson.C said:

Okay so what would be your recommendation of getting a small fast boot drive for cheap? Because I already have a 1TB M.2 but I want that to be my mass storage.

What country do you live in and what is your budget?

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

5 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

What country do you live in and what is your budget?

I live in the UK and for the budget I guess anything below £30?

1 minute ago, Carson.C said:

I live in the UK and for the budget I guess anything below £30?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Patriot-P300-128GB-Low-Power-Consumption/dp/B0822Y6N1C/ref=sr_1_32?dchild=1&keywords=m.2+nvme&qid=1623783278&sr=8-32

good enough for a boot drive

20 for the 128

30 for the 256

Just now, Mister Woof said:

are they fast? I literally know nothing about computers. I brought a WD blue M.2 last summer, that's 1TB for my games

4 minutes ago, Carson.C said:

are they fast? I literally know nothing about computers. I brought a WD blue M.2 last summer, that's 1TB for my games

I mean it's better than a hard drive, and probably well good for just a boot drive.

But you usually have to pick only one or two out of three

Cheap

Reliable

Fast