I need help with my graphics GTX 1660 Super

Joao Corgas

Hi everyone, I have a recurring problem since a few months ago.
I have an MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X 6Gb that has only 8 months, the problem is that for some time now I have had a noise problem, so the graphics reaches 70/75 degrees which I think is normal but the fans reach 85 /100% speed which makes it unbearable to hear, as they are supposed to be silent according to the brand.
My question is I've already contacted the brand and it says to go to the store and send it to RMA the store says it doesn't do RMA it just returns the value given by it, I paid 270 euros at the altar and now given the price problem the same it costs 500 euros.
As I live in Portugal I don't have easy and fast access to a watercooler solotion for graphics only the fastest solution I have is the NZXT kraken G12 which I find absorbed having to spend 30 euros on the G12 plus 150 on the watercooler.
Does anyone here have an opinion/suggestion you can give me?

My computer Specs are the following:

Case: MSI Mag Forge 100M

Motherboard: MSI B450 Pro-VDH Max

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

CPU Cooler: Crosair Hydro H100x

GPU: MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X 6Gb

Power Supply: Seasonic S12III 650W

Airflow: water rad 240 mount in front whit 2 Noctua 120 fans at 1000RPM

2 120 fans on top at 800RPM

1 120 fan on back at 800 RPM

PC: AMD Ryzen 3600| MSI B450 PRO-VDH MAX| 16GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z | GTX 1660 Super Gaming X | 240 Kingston SSD | 1TB WD Black

Steam @sync | EFT Corgas_92

You could undervolt the card, set a custom fan curve and/or replace the thermal paste. 

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

I've never had my MSI cards produce a lot of coil whine. Do you lose performance under big gaming load? Have you stress tested it in any programs? It could be just that particular card. Not saying its normal, but some cards have slight coil whine. Not all, but some.

GAMING RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5800X3D

MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 PLUS (Wi-Fi)

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: PowerColor Fighter RX 6700 XT

STORAGE: 500GB Crucial MX500 M.2 (Boot Drive) / 500GB Crucial SATA / 1TB WD HDD

CASE: Dimas Tech EasyBench V3.0

VR RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x

MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming GEN3

GPU: Zotac AMP! 2080 Super

STORAGE: 250GB ADATA SSD / 500GB WD Blue SSD / 1TB WD Blue HD

22 hours ago, SirWendall said:

I've never had my MSI cards produce a lot of coil whine. Do you lose performance under big gaming load? Have you stress tested it in any programs? It could be just that particular card. Not saying its normal, but some cards have slight coil whine. Not all, but some.

Don't have any performance lost on games, and i did run stress test wen this started to happen.

PC: AMD Ryzen 3600| MSI B450 PRO-VDH MAX| 16GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z | GTX 1660 Super Gaming X | 240 Kingston SSD | 1TB WD Black

1 hour ago, Joao Corgas said:

Don't have any performance lost on games, and i did run stress test wen this started to happen.

Well it could just be your sample that you got. Nothing wrong with it, as long you're not seeing performance loss.

GAMING RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5800X3D

MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 PLUS (Wi-Fi)

GPU: PowerColor Fighter RX 6700 XT

STORAGE: 500GB Crucial MX500 M.2 (Boot Drive) / 500GB Crucial SATA / 1TB WD HDD

CASE: Dimas Tech EasyBench V3.0

VR RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x

MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming GEN3

GPU: Zotac AMP! 2080 Super

STORAGE: 250GB ADATA SSD / 500GB WD Blue SSD / 1TB WD Blue HD

15 hours ago, SirWendall said:

Well it could just be your sample that you got. Nothing wrong with it, as long you're not seeing performance loss.

Maybe, but no performance lost, i did test using a simple undervolt just lowering power percentage from 100% to 70% and did get good results, my temp did go down to 60/65 and my fan speed never got pass 60% and in game didn't get any FPS drop or fps instability, so i tink i just have to set the undervolt every time I play some heavy games.