Help getting old games to run on high refresh rate monitors

Ok so to lead off, The games I am trying to play do work on my desktop so will run on Win10 (some with a little tinkering) but I have a Dell G7 laptop with both an iGPU and RTX 2070. I want to have some older games installed that I know run well on the iGPU due to anything that tries to use the 2070 on battery makes the it's i7 power throttle to the point a Pentium 3 could out run it with a giggle and light jog...

The major problem I am running into is a lot of old games like Mercenaries 2 and KOTOR 1 etc have major issues on any monitor with a refresh rate higher the 60hz. Which can range from texture and game play bugs, Up too just outright failing to launch. And thanks to Dell's shortsighted hardware engineering the monitor's rate can't be changed and is effectively locked at 144hz. So I am looking for ideas and other workarounds that might help with games that have said problem and no per-game way to fix it (I.E. no fan patch or mod files for a given game)

11 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Often games have a framerate cap. (Different than Vsync)

Do yours?

Sadly no.. And some will not even launch like Mercs: 2.. I even tried forcing a frame cap in the Nvidia panel with no luck

16 hours ago, Communist_Empire said:

It might be worth looking on PCGamingWiki, some of my older games have FPS caps in the config files. 

I have looked for and tried caps both in game settings and forced though the Nvidia panel but it' hasn't helped the games that will not launch due to engine bugs with over 60hz refresh rates  

4 minutes ago, Communist_Empire said:

I remember now some games do have issues over 60Hz like Skyrim and a few other games.

And the two games I've been wanting the most Mercenaries 2 and  KOTRO 1 will not even launch.. KOTOR 2 can be made to work with a few bugs