Short in PC Case reset button?

LOUnatic779

I have a Corsair Air 240 that I have recycled from several other builds. Ive got it up and running a new rig and if I plug in the reset switch to  the mobo the system will not post. I have confirmed this is the issue because I put an external switch on the reset tabs of the mobo and it boots (and resets) just fine. 

Is it worth the trouble of trying to resplice the wires in the reset switch or is it more trouble than its worth?

Is it possible to take apart the switch and see what is going on inside? Or is it a switch soldered onto a PCB for the front panel header?

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 hour ago, SpiderMan said:

Is it possible to take apart the switch and see what is going on inside? Or is it a switch soldered onto a PCB for the front panel header?

I took off the front panel and it is soldered on to a pcb board which then connects to a single plug that then splits into all the different things. 

I suppose my only shot is to email corsair and see if they will replace the board/cable. 

8 hours ago, LOUnatic779 said:

I took off the front panel and it is soldered on to a pcb board which then connects to a single plug that then splits into all the different things. 

I suppose my only shot is to email corsair and see if they will replace the board/cable. 

Oh man ok. Yeah, I'd give it a shot and email Corsair to see if they have a replacement front panel for your case. I know there is a Corsair rep also on the forums here @Corsair Nick but hasn't been on in awhile. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 7:25 PM, LOUnatic779 said:

I have a Corsair Air 240 that I have recycled from several other builds. Ive got it up and running a new rig and if I plug in the reset switch to  the mobo the system will not post. I have confirmed this is the issue because I put an external switch on the reset tabs of the mobo and it boots (and resets) just fine. 

Is it worth the trouble of trying to resplice the wires in the reset switch or is it more trouble than its worth?

Sounds like the button might either be stuck in the depressed position and constantly resetting the motherboard, or the switch itself is bad.  Could try cleaning it with some isopropyl alcohol and see if that brings it back.  We did offer a replacement IO panel, but this case has been EOL for awhile and not sure if and when it would be available again.  Link below is to the original part:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Cases/Carbide-Series™-Air-240-Front-I-O-Panel/p/CC-8930325

Other suggestion would be to reach out to our support team and see if there are any replacements still available.  They will have the most up to date information on availability.

https://support.corsair.com

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/