Silent Mechanical Switches

rafe_28

I am on the hunt for a silent mechanical keyboard for my dad. 

i have looked around abit and cant really find anything good. they need to be obv silent but need to have a similar feel to cherry mx reds (he tried it on my keyboard and liked em). i have read about the cherry mx silent reds feeling mushy so they dont offer a improvement overr membrane keyboards and silent gateron browns dont seem to have the best rep as well. Does anyone have a keyboard with a silent mechanical switch? Or deosn anone know of a good switch that can be found in prebuilt keyboards?

Sadly it does need to offer a german layout :(

Ping me or quote me in replys ples. Anyone talking about AiOs and trashing people for a front mount watch THIS JAYZTWOCENTS VID because u 99.9% skipped or didnt understand the Gamers Nexus vid...

Spoiler

Also pineapple doesnt go on pizza

Order a key switch tester and see which key switches they like

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

1 minute ago, RevoltTrain said:

Order a key switch tester and see which key switches they like

This, easily. Sometimes, you say you like x feel from hearing the sound on youtube but then you feel it for yourself and its dissatisfying. Especially because youre shopping for such ubiquitous keyswitch brand, switch tester for Cherry should be quite cheap, its not exactly super bespoke. For brands though, thatll be tough because there's not many ways you can emulate full german QWERTZ through keyboard mapping in windows and swapping around keycaps.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Cherry Mx Brown or Silent Red. I could find anything that is german layout, but I think those switches will be good.

I may still have a laptop, but I'd say I know a good amount about PC stuff.

Since a key switch tester would be like kinda overkill just for one keybaord i decided to go with the mx silent reds for him. I only could find a single 100% keyboard with a german layout being the cherry MX board 3.0 S. 

My dad was actually unhappy that it had rgb lmao. I barely convinced him to still buy because he can just turn it off. He wadnt into the idea of rgb. He thought something like that doesnt need to be in a workspace but man if its the only one with a decent switch for your purpose what ur gonna do?

Ping me or quote me in replys ples. Anyone talking about AiOs and trashing people for a front mount watch THIS JAYZTWOCENTS VID because u 99.9% skipped or didnt understand the Gamers Nexus vid...

Spoiler

If he like the reds, go for that. (The cherry reds are already pretty silent.)

If it is still too loud consider adding o-rings under the keycaps. Getting a silent red keyboard (prebuilt) is much harder.

16 minutes ago, lilithblack said:

If he like the reds, go for that. (The cherry reds are already pretty silent.)

If it is still too loud consider adding o-rings under the keycaps. Getting a silent red keyboard (prebuilt) is much harder.

Oh i alr ordered it. The normal reds were alr too loud and since he is in a lot of online meetings and MS teams is crap in background noise suppression it needs to be really silent

Spoiler

you have to look for specifically silenced switches ... like you said cherry silent red for a starter ... if you want something better check out the kailh silent box pink (linear) or kailh box silent box brown (tactile, way more than cherry brown) ... those are quite good ... I've heard that aliaz silent are ok too ... not as mushy but also not as silent cause the dampening rubber is harder (that's what I've heard, I've never tried them)

Most silenced switches will feel a bit mushy when typing cause of the rubber dampers inside. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD