Motherboard coil whine, what can be done about it

New system with Gigabyte B560M AORUS ELITE seems to have coil whine, at least sometimes.

I removed the GPU and rebooted with iGPU only. The whine persisted.

So I went in the Bios and shut down every fan, one by one: the case fans first, then lastly the CPU cooler one, but only for a while, because obviously at some point temps are rising and I have to turn it back on.

Still, after removing the GPU and turning all fans to 0 RPM, there was still this metallic persistent noise coming from somewhere in the middle of the board.

Is there some power setting or control in the Bios that can be used to lower the whine without greatly affecting performance? Or do I have to RMA this one.

I really like this board, it has a huge number of ports considering its 150-ish price I paid for it and the preinstalled backplate. It's quite a nice board, but this whine can get annoying especially when there's no other noise in the environment to eclipse it.

This is normal and not something that you should RMA the board over regardless of whether it would be accepted or not.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Increase or decrease cpu LLC. See if the noise changes.

Coil whine is not an abnormal thing and does not constitute the need for RMA, obviously the board works fine.

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

not something that you should RMA the board over regardless of whether it would be accepted or not.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Coil whine is not an abnormal thing and does not constitute the need for RMA, obviously the board works fine.

isnt severe coilwhine an issue though?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

Coil whine is only when the current hits an audible frequency. It just means you hear it.

Some rare cases, it may cause issue, but 99% of the time, is a non issue.

My 10 year old 1kw PSU is super loud when on heavy benching loads in particular with video cards actually.

7 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

No lol coilwhine is inherent to the type of electronics found on computer parts

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

9 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Coil whine is only when the current hits an audible frequency. It just means you hear it.

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

No lol coilwhine is inherent to the type of electronics found on computer parts

i know coilwhine can be common, doesnt mean it's not an issue, btw

but severe cases should be able to be justified as an issue, no?

i sure wouldnt want a GPU that whines louder than my game, even though it's "normal"

edit: even EVGA accepts coil whine as a return reason

https://forums.evga.com/Is-Coil-Whine-covered-Under-Warranty-m2498805.aspx

so OP have to check with gigabyte, if it's bothering him

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

It's not all the time, it seems to go away sometimes. Like if I start a game and the system starts revving up the fans, it seems to go away -- or maybe it gets drowned by the increasing noise of fans, but I doubt it because that whine has this high-pitched tone that pierces through any "airplane" type of noise coming from the fans.

So, it seems to come up mostly when the system is mostly idle or used on light tasks.