Was it worth It ?

Hello Everyone! 

So yesterday night I purchased a Brand New AMD Radeon HD 7970 Reference card for $309.00 with free S/H. 

I want to ask you guys on what you think about it!

Was it a smart buy or not?

I'm aware I can overclock the card to a high point but I was thinking of switching out the Reference cooler for a aftermarket one. 

Let me know! 

Thanks!

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

That is a good deal considering the current prices.

Quote me to get a reply!

that is a pretty good deal, especially because of the prices currently because of the miners

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

yeah great deal. well worth it. and you can WC if you want.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

That is a good deal considering the current prices.

That's what I was thinking when I Saw it. 

There was also A Sapphire Vapor-X 6GB 7970 Ghz Edition for $310 Used but It sold within 5 Minutes it was listed. 

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

Solid price, but for a reference design, I don't know what to think. I'd be willing to pay 120$ more for a Vapor-X or another good non-reference one. So unless you plan on watercooling it, replacing stock cooler or crossfiring it (if you're mining, disregard) I wouldn't expect good frame rates at good temperatures. A compromise is to be expected.

Spoiler

Hi,

Yer i agree with the above, its a very strong card, even with the cooler, so to change that is going to make all the difference, and as someone else said, watercooling will further improve the card!

Hope this helps!

Freelancing Since 2012

Solid price, but for a reference design, I don't know what to think. I'd be willing to pay 120$ more for a Vapor-X or another good non-reference one. So unless you plan on watercooling it, replacing stock cooler or crossfiring it (if you're mining, disregard) I wouldn't expect good frame rates at good temperatures. A compromise is to be expected.

Well my plan was to replace the stock reference cooler with the Kraken G10 and Liquid cool it OR Buy a aftermarket 7970 air Cooler.   

Well my plan was to replace the stock reference cooler with the Kraken G10 and Liquid cool it OR Buy a aftermarket 7970 air Cooler.   

I understand, but now the deal is not much of a deal anymore is it? (well not for the kraken G10 mod I guess, because you're looking for reference cards anyway).

Spoiler

I understand, but now the deal is not much of a deal anymore is it? (well not for the kraken G10 mod I guess, because you're looking for reference cards anyway).

I see what your saying. 

I didn't think about that until you mentioned it! 

Hi,

Yer i agree with the above, its a very strong card, even with the cooler, so to change that is going to make all the difference, and as someone else said, watercooling will further improve the card!

Hope this helps!

As much as watercooling will improve the card. Only thing I'm worried about know is about bottlenecking. 

I see what your saying. 

I didn't think about that until you mentioned it! 

So I guess you have to know what your plan is. 

- If you are upgrading from anything below a gtx 660 / HD 7870, and plan on gaming with this card as is, this is an awesome deal. However, check your fan curves, your temps and try and look for how much you can squeeze out of it. Mind the noise. If you want to mod it to get at it's peak performance, it's not a deal.

- If you're coming from a "similar performing" card, I guess this is a good deal until you mod it to get a performance upgrade.

- If you're mining, this is a good deal. Period.

Spoiler

Hi,

Well the only bottlenecking you will find at the moment will be thermal bottlenecking from that stock cooler, as for the card, remember what linus said, there are always bottlenecks in every system, but unless your processor is a decade old you shouldn't have too much in the way of issues, but its hard to say what is the bottleneck without knowing your full system + usage.

Yours,

Sir DrowHunter

Freelancing Since 2012

So I guess you have to know what your plan is. 

- If you are upgrading from anything below a gtx 660 / HD 7870, and plan on gaming with this card as is, this is an awesome deal. However, check your fan curves, your temps and try and look for how much you can squeeze out of it. Mind the noise. If you want to mod it to get at it's peak performance, it's not a deal.

- If you're coming from a "similar performing" card, I guess this is a good deal until you mod it to get a performance upgrade.

- If you're mining, this is a good deal. Period.

Well I had a XFX R9 270X but I ended up returning it because it was nothing but problems. 

Then I started asking on the Form and people said a 280X/7970 Would be the way to go Or even a 7950. 

Depending on my price range. 

Hi,

Well the only bottlenecking you will find at the moment will be thermal bottlenecking from that stock cooler, as for the card, remember what linus said, there are always bottlenecks in every system, but unless your processor is a decade old you shouldn't have too much in the way of issues, but its hard to say what is the bottleneck without knowing your full system + usage.

Yours,

Sir DrowHunter

Currently I Have a AMD Athlon X4 750k Running Stock at 3.4Ghz

Here are my Specs. 

Based on what you have there, i would say you should be fine, i think to be honest your system sounds like its well suited together, nothing super high end, but everything above entry level, i wouldn't worry about bottlenecking what so ever :)

Yours,

Sir DrowHunter

Freelancing Since 2012

Based on what you have there, i would say you should be fine, i think to be honest your system sounds like its well suited together, nothing super high end, but everything above entry level, i wouldn't worry about bottlenecking what so ever :)

Yours,

Sir DrowHunter

Thanks for the response! Would It still be worth overclocking or just leave everything how it is? I have't received my 7970 yet but It would be good to know ahead of time.  

that is a pretty good deal, especially because of the prices currently because of the miners

Well, at least we get our revenge when they find out that mining is incredibly stupid.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Well, at least we get our revenge when they find out that mining is incredibly stupid.

Funny thing is I don't understand the whole mining thing. 

Funny thing is I don't understand the whole mining thing. 

Its not difficult to understand. Its just stupid to start doing it.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Adding some extra airflow to underneath your GPU so it can suck some colder air wouldn't hurt if thats an option.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Adding some extra airflow to underneath your GPU so it can suck some colder air wouldn't hurt if thats an option.

That's a Good idea! 

That's a Good idea! 

Buy a really good airflow (as silent as you can at high rpm) type of fan and throw it on the front panel fan location at the bottom (if you have that option)

Drill some holes into the bottom of your case underneath GPU, and mount a fan there... <-- semi extreme solution but.. if you like to tinker.. Youtube how to add a bottom mounted fan to PC.

Or... G10 + Watercooling, would be possible the best idea although more expensive.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz