Issue with XFX RX580 and black screen system crash

fs_duke

I've been running into an issue with my system recently where it will crash after approximately 5 minutes of gameplay in 2 of my Steam games (Horizon Zero Dawn and Solasta Crown of the Magister). After a hard reboot, my system will come back up but will not be able to load the display drivers. This has occurred with AMD Radeon software version 21.4.1. To get things back to normal, I have had to either reload the drivers manually from the AMD website or do a system restore back to before the shutdown.

The fans are not spinning currently but if I remember correctly, the fans only spin when the card is under load. I did a little research on this already and read an online post about a similar issue with an RX580 where the PSU needed to be replaced. My PSU is the original from when I first built this rig about 6 years; the GPU is only 2 years old.

My question is: Could the PSU be the cause of the failure? Or is there another avenue I need to investigate?

For reference, my PSU is a SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze.

Not that I noticed. I use NZXT Cam for monitoring and I do remember seeing the temp spike to the 70 C range prior to the crash.

13 minutes ago, fs_duke said:

Not that I noticed. I use NZXT Cam for monitoring and I do remember seeing the temp spike to the 70 C range prior to the crash.

In the future, would you either tag me or quote me? Just now saw this.

4 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

In the future, would you either tag me or quote me? Just now saw this.

I also found this older post and wondered if this might apply to my situation since doing an RMA is not feasible at this time and would leave me without a PC:

3 minutes ago, fs_duke said:

I also found this older post and wondered if this might apply to my situation since doing an RMA is not feasible at this time and would leave me without a PC:

I understand how the RMA might not feel feasible. However last month I did the XFX RMA and I got my card back in under a week, if that opens up that option a bit more for you.

Quick update on this issue: I went through and did a clean uninstall of the AMD drivers and reinstalled everything. I also ran sfc /scannow for good measure and the utility did repair an issue. I launched into Solasta and set up GPU-Z to log to file the sensor log (see attached). The temp gets up to 75 C before I get the black screen. It's odd because it's been hotter than that last summer and worked fine. Again the GPU is only a year and a half (purchased in February 2020). Before going down the RMA route, is there anything else I can try to fix the issue?

Tagging @wat3rmelon_man2who was helpful earlier in the week 🙂

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

7 hours ago, fs_duke said:

Quick update on this issue: I went through and did a clean uninstall of the AMD drivers and reinstalled everything. I also ran sfc /scannow for good measure and the utility did repair an issue. I launched into Solasta and set up GPU-Z to log to file the sensor log (see attached). The temp gets up to 75 C before I get the black screen. It's odd because it's been hotter than that last summer and worked fine. Again the GPU is only a year and a half (purchased in February 2020). Before going down the RMA route, is there anything else I can try to fix the issue?

Tagging @wat3rmelon_man2who was helpful earlier in the week 🙂

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt 161.29 kB · 0 downloads

Well, I repasted my card. It was very easy with my 570 and I assume the 580 will be the same. Even if it doesn’t need it, customer support will probably tell you to reposted the card. And breaking the warranty seal doesn’t actually void the warrramty. I would check the warranty on your card though-mine was less than a year old so my rma worked.