Corsair 5000X case HDD temps issue

HeartyTinman

Hi all,

I have just re-built my build into a 5000X case.

Unfortnately I have a bit of a longboi PSU (Corsair HX1200i) and the space for the PSU and HDD cage in the 5000D/X is more than a little constrained.

Airflow and temps in the rest of the case is pretty decent (R7 2700x & RTX 2080 super) but the HDDs are going up to silly temperatures (55 deg C, if not higher) and yes, I know, who uses HDDs anymore, but I need to for mass photography storage, until I build the NAS at least.

My thoughts is that the airflow by the HDDs is severely hampered by the PSU length and cable sprawl, causing the HDDs to get hot.

There is a small amount of room by the back of the HDDs, that I might be able to squeeze a small (60-80 ish mm fan in there, but I dont know what else might be worth considering. Can you please give me some advice

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Ben

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-50c-degrees-is-bad-for-hard-drive.1863439/ 

have a read of this for more info but by skimming over this 50 degrees is completely fine 

because the hdd get 0 - nothing airflow its likely there will be hot temps 

so its hould in theory be fine another way to improve it is more airflow/ fans 

Did you move the drive cage closer to the front of the case already?

image.png.04493a6731bc9a9713efef0619e96422.png

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

11 minutes ago, Slayerking92 said:

Did you move the drive cage closer to the front of the case already?

image.png.04493a6731bc9a9713efef0619e96422.png

Unfortunately, @Slayerking92, I have already moved it to the furthest point over, the HX1200i really is a longboi sadly (got the PSU a while ago, long before considering going into another case)

12 minutes ago, The_Mafia69 said:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-50c-degrees-is-bad-for-hard-drive.1863439/ 

have a read of this for more info but by skimming over this 50 degrees is completely fine 

because the hdd get 0 - nothing airflow its likely there will be hot temps 

so its hould in theory be fine another way to improve it is more airflow/ fans 

Thanks for the info, @The_Mafia69. My drives are 2x Ironwolf Pro 6TBs, that seem to have operational resliency to 70 deg C, which I never thought was the case. The more you know...