VR and ROG Flow x13 (without eGPU) (BSOD with Oculus DK2 and not working with Vive)

Hi,

I've tried using a oculus development kit 2 for a school project on unity, but I can't get it to work on my machine. First of all this is the first time i've tried to set up a VR headset. First when I plugged it in the light was blinking orange and blue and the screen was black. So I installed all the packages in my unity project and the unity folder, now it isn't blinking and connecting/disconnecting all the time anymore. But when I try launching dreamdeck just to verify it works well I get a blue screen.

My computer Asus ROG Flow x13 (2021): Ryzen 7 5800HS, 16Go, 1650 (Max-Q) (I know the graphics card is barely supported for VR) and I deactivated the energy saving to only use the Nvidia chip. I've tried to plug the headset directly into my computer and through my usb-c dock resulted in the same shenanigans.

I know there was a probleme with ASUS motherboard and USB driver but a driver solves the problem and I sure hope that my drivers aren't from 2017 since my laptop is only 2 month old.

Is my computer doomed ? Or is it just the DK2 that isn't supported anymore ?

That was 1 week ago now I have access to a Vive Cosmos and it is far better no blue screen !! (Hurray) games kind of launched but there is nothing i shown in the headset, (I tried using a dell usb c hub since i don't have any HDMI to DP adapter).

Can I use this laptop for VR ? 

Thanks for your help

you probably can or you probabaly cant.

so far the only headset that natively supports usb to be connected as a vr headset is the oculus quest 2 with oculus link. of course you would have trouble with the DK2 since this is relatively old device, they might not go well with each other. but yeah I advise on doing research normally because i cannot tell you much even if I know stuff about VR and now I am in one of the people that knows about custom vr hardware.
second edit: i think the DK2 might have an HDMI and the flow x13 should be able to have it as well, in this case it should work but i kinda stand by what I said above.
edit 3: seeing your post no it probably doesn't, I can see but you are likely not gonna be able to run without native HDMI or likely HDMI to Type-C DisplayPort adapter and port availability or anything that can properly allow display output, so I would advise on buying a Quest 2 instead if you want native support or try vr using your phone and a phone headset if you aren't planning on using hands (or otherwise so you can follow my guide in the signature 🙂

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

192013060_325339042316564_6920997193086138954_n.thumb.jpg.f67958b4f523232e12cb8e38330be691.jpgThis is what my blue screen screen looks like, I thinks this is linked to the fact that the headset might be plugged to the iGPU and not to the discrete GPU, I don't know if this is fixable by a driver though it seems to be that laptop aren't goind well with VR. Though I don't really get why ? I mean this might a really bad oversimplification but VR Headsets are just glorified screens with gyroscopes. 

Since this is quite an urgent project I'll find workarounds for using less VR. But thanks for your responses.

• 4 months later...

Fixed yet? i hav same computer and running Cosmos no problem, do u hav the adaptor box for the cosmos?