Gaming Build on a Realistic Budget

Fishmeister7

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and I am loving the looks of some of these more extravagant builds and I was just hoping to show some of the people who cannot afford these more expensive builds (Myself included) that you can still enjoy new games at a decent budget without sacrificing everything in terms of performance. I enjoy gaming so I have soak tested this PC with all my favourites including some higher end titles such as Doom Eternal and War Thunder to ensure this PC works and to say the least it has been amazing and hasn't struggled with anything I have thrown at it (So far...). I have made a start on playing some games in 4K as to top of this build I invested in a new TV and so far this has worked amazingly. Although I have one part left to finish my build which I am sure you can guess is the GPU. Once done I can really put this new rig through it's paces and start to really dig down and find where the limitations are for it because at the moment it simply hasn't reached any. Also me personally I don't prefer the whole RGB look in my PC but that is mainly because it needs to be in my living room at home and too much distracting light from it will ruin the whole look of the room and where it is situated (You will see in the image provided). 

With a little help from a friend in the physical side of building it here is my rig. I hope you all enjoy the look and spec of this and I would love to hear peoples thoughts on it and whether anyone agrees that this is value for money or not. I have watched a lot of the LTT videos on YouTube of building a rig with a decent budget and I just wanted to show that it can be done for less than £1500 within reason.

SPEC: 

Case: Corsair Carbide 275R ATX

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F (AM4)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X with Wraith Spire Fan Cooler

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 Black

PSU: Corsair RM Series 750W 80+ Gold Certified PSU

ROM1: 256GB SSD SanDisk (For OS)

ROM2: 1TB Samsung EVO 860 SSD (For Storage)

Current GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB VRAM

Total Cost: Approximately £1100 give or take a few pounds.

I know the GPU is on the old side but due to the current shortage I am struggling to get what I am after at a decent price and with a realistic delivery date. I will be upgrading to a GTX 1660 Super after hearing some good reviews of it.

I will add some more detailed pictures later today so you can see how it looks properly inside. As the one of the PC on the desk was from when it was first built so not all the components were on and I took the photo before realising the magnetic cover on the top wasn't on 😉.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have about the build and I will be happy to answer them. I have benchmarking software available if anyone wanted to compare the stats of this rig in its current state to their own or it they are curious.

Thank you all for viewing and I hope you find this helpful for anyone who is unsure of how much to spend on a mid level rig that is practical.

Thanks Again Everyone,

Andy.

7a1675db-2782-4acc-bc63-9a40a4e7322d.JPG

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg

With a bios update, your board could support a 5600x or 5800x. If you get a 5800x, you will need an aftermarket cooler, something like this: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/YsHRsY/scythe-fuma-2-5117-cfm-cpu-cooler-scfm-2000 (you could also get this with a 5600x but you don't need to)

The only other thing would be graphics card. Assuming you don't just play esports, you will probably want a 3080, or a 3070 if you are playing less demanding games and/or are willing the lower settings a bit. A 1660 super simply would very likely not cut it for that resolution. But, as prices are insane, you will probably have to wait quite a while to upgrade your gpu.

You can also chuck in a hard drive for game storage depending on how many games you have, but that is relatively cheap and there is a good chance it is not necesary.

7 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

With a bios update, your board could support a 5600x or 5800x. If you get a 5800x, you will need an aftermarket cooler, something like this: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/YsHRsY/scythe-fuma-2-5117-cfm-cpu-cooler-scfm-2000 (you could also get this with a 5600x but you don't need to)

The only other thing would be graphics card. Assuming you don't just play esports, you will probably want a 3080, or a 3070 if you are playing less demanding games and/or are willing the lower settings a bit. A 1660 super simply would very likely not cut it for that resolution. But, as prices are insane, you will probably have to wait quite a while to upgrade your gpu.

You can also chuck in a hard drive for game storage depending on how many games you have, but that is relatively cheap and there is a good chance it is not necesary.

Hi Curiousmind34, 

Thank you for suggestions. These are very good and valid points and eventually I will likely upgrade the Processor, Cooler and GPU to that degree and as you have shown the prices will be ideal for these upgrades. 

At this point in time though I am just showing the people out there that they can build a mid level rig on a realistic budget without rinsing their wallets 🙂 and in it's current state it is handling what I am doing with it with ease and no problems so far. Heat is being dissipated well so performance has been great from all components (Even the old GPU ;)).

Thank you again Curiousmind34 and please feel free to offer any other suggestions or observations or even any criticisms if you feel this build is not mid level or is missing a key component I may not have thought about.

Thanks,

Andy.

Seems good... but theres no such thing as a "970 Ti" 😛

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

2 minutes ago, Xaring said:

Seems good... but theres no such thing as a "970 Ti" 😛

Hahahahaha your absolutely right 🤦‍♂️. I have 1660 Ti and Super on the brain from comparing them.

Thanks for pointing that out 👍

As Promised here are the more detailed photos of this rig. Hope you all enjoy what you can get without spending mega bucks.

IMG_2126.JPG

IMG_2127.JPG

IMG_2128.JPG

IMG_2123.JPG

IMG_2124.JPG