How do I choose which input the GPU uses?

jidenshaotoko

So I got a single monitor with 3 ports: 1 DP and 2 HDMI.

I have my PC plugged into the DP port and I have another HDMI cable plugged into the same GPU going into the back of my Elgato 4K60S+ which in turn is plugged into the same GPU and is outputting the signal to the exact same monitor. Basically I wanna use it to capture PC footage like I had been before when I used to have it hooked up to a TV instead.

However, I can't seem to be able to have my graphics cards switching display input just by switching the input itself through my monitor OSD. Does anyone have any idea of how or whether it's possible to choose inputs in this setup?

You don't control this at a graphics card level. All the ports just do display out all the time. If you have multiple things connected, Windows recognizes it as multiple displays, and then you can choose to mirror, extend, or individually disable displays via the Windows display settings.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

18 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

You don't control this at a graphics card level. All the ports just do display out all the time. If you have multiple things connected, Windows recognizes it as multiple displays, and then you can choose to mirror, extend, or individually disable displays via the Windows display settings.

Since everything is connected to the one monitor, Windows doesn't see it as multiple displays. The NVIDIA Control Panel doesn't give me the option to choose which input to output the signal to either. To be honest, I'm not even sure if it's technically possible to do what I'm trying to do.

I was trying to simplify my setup a bit because I don't like have too many things to worry about at once, but it's looking like a dead end.

Wait a sec, You use two different sources of signal for the same monitor?
And you want to change which source the monitor is using at the moment without unplugging unused one?
Well, it's not GPU job, but monitor's. Not sure if it is applicable for every model, but usually you can choose which source of signal to use within monitor settings (use keys on your monitor to do so).

15 hours ago, CrazyFactory said:

Wait a sec, You use two different sources of signal for the same monitor?
And you want to change which source the monitor is using at the moment without unplugging unused one?
Well, it's not GPU job, but monitor's. Not sure if it is applicable for every model, but usually you can choose which source of signal to use within monitor settings (use keys on your monitor to do so).

That's correct. I have a DP cable plugged into my GPU with the other end plugged into the monitor (which is how I use Windows to work) and a HDMI cable also plugged into the same GPU, going into my Elgato 4K60S+ and straight into the monitor as well (which is how I wanted to capture PC gameplay footage).

I tried switching inputs in the monitor OSD, but it doesn't pick up any signal. Given how picky the Elgato 4K60S+ usually is about signal, I wasn't sure whether I was doing something wrong on the setup, or if it's simply the capture card failing to passthrough any sort of signal between the GPU and the monitor.

I think 

7 hours ago, jidenshaotoko said:

I wasn't sure whether I was doing something wrong on the setup, or if it's simply the capture card failing to passthrough any sort of signal between the GPU and the monitor.

Have you tried to send signal to your monitor through your capture card when you unplug the second cable from GPU? If this setup works, your card can passthrough signals.
Other question. It it works, is it possible to use PC with this setup without capturing anything, So signal still goes through capturing card, but you don't record anything. If so, I don't understand why should you switch cables at all.

On 5/27/2021 at 12:56 AM, CrazyFactory said:

I think 

Have you tried to send signal to your monitor through your capture card when you unplug the second cable from GPU? If this setup works, your card can passthrough signals.
Other question. It it works, is it possible to use PC with this setup without capturing anything, So signal still goes through capturing card, but you don't record anything. If so, I don't understand why should you switch cables at all.

I'm gonna give your suggestion a go later today when I'm done with work and report back here, but your comment made me realize I forgot to mention one crucial detail about the whole thing: the reason why I'm plugging two different cables on the back of the monitor and into the GPU is that Photoshop has an annoyingly specific issue with the Elgato 4K60S+ right now. Basically, every time I launch Photoshop with the main signal passing through the capture card, Photoshop runs extremely slow until the signal suddenly gets cut, the screen blacks out and Photoshop crashes. Even with other Adobe apps I don't have this issue. 

Since Photoshop is the one and only I app I have to use for my full-time job, I can't have the main signal going through the capture card unfortunately. That would definitely make things a lot easier but until they fix this weird issue, I'll have to find another solution.