No airflow + pretty case = more fans?

Lairlair

Hi all!

I've been asking around / searching regarding the Jonsbo UMX6 (I've even posted here once on the "Case" section, sorry if that's redundant)

It looks something like this:

jonsbo-umx6-1-actu-hardware-overclocking.jpg.c1868be167b6e4ff33f22936a09afa1e.jpg

So it's pretty but not airflow friendly. Gamers Nexus would probably roast it - though it might do just that on its own. Fans need to pull fresh air in from a grid at the bottom and push it out from the openings on the side (which are similar to the NZXT 710) + a rear opening, so it's designed for vertical airflow, bottom to top. What seems to suck about it is that the fresh air from the bottom gets warmed by the GPU and the radiator at the top will not be able to cool anything properly + the PSU is at the front so that's one more heat source. But I thought of pulling air from the top AND the bottom, expelling everything at the back, as shown in this magnificent image:

TerribleAirflow.thumb.jpg.12e6338e7f51ca9e4d5b9a525b77b98f.jpg

For context: I plan on having a Ryzen 9 5900x cooled with an Actic Liquid Freezer II 280, and for the GPU I have a 1660 Super single fan.

What do you think?

Looks like it should be solid. If you're not running incredibly power hungry hardware and pushing OCs on said hardware, you need far less airflow than people often think. A lot of people worry about temps even in the 70s, which is still far below safe max at stock settings. I've had some pretty chunky hardware in both an Evolv ATX (before the Evolv X that brought better airflow) and an S340 Elite, both cases not known for good airflow, with a decent fan set up (for those cases, 2-3 fans in the front and one for exhaust) I never had temp issues. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

if you're going to use a bad case then just have some loud and fast server fans in it. The design might be bad but at least it will be moving a ton of air to make up for it

27 minutes ago, emosun said:

just have some loud and fast server fans in it

Thank you for the idea, I hadn't thought of server fans. But from what I just saw, a single one of these can produce up to 53dB so I'd get another case before considering that option

27 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

with a decent fan set up (for those cases, 2-3 fans in the front and one for exhaust) I never had temp issues. 

Thanks that's reassuring!

1 minute ago, Lairlair said:

I'd get another case before considering that option

yeah me too

If I were in you shoes, I'd probably make it a top exhaust, intake everywhere else.

But either way, aside from the CPU getting kinda toasty, it'll probably be okay.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

16 hours ago, iBabySlapper said:

I'd probably make it a top exhaust, intake everywhere else.

Ah yeah I was wondering whether that'd be a good idea too! I'll see if I do get this case cause it's quite expensive and has no fans included 🤔

32 minutes ago, Lairlair said:

Ah yeah I was wondering whether that'd be a good idea too! I'll see if I do get this case cause it's quite expensive and has no fans included 🤔

Yeah, it makes a sense, since even if you put a filter on the back intake, which I would if I were you, it'll probably be the least obstructed intake.

So the coolest and most volumous source for the hottest component.

And I'd just like the idea of all the air going up in the end.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

Yeah it sounds right to have the hot air going up. Thanks for the input ☺️

I would pick u4 plus or u5 over that one. Engineers have taken a look at those and theyve opened up the bottom fan slots so that air can move through more freely.

1 hour ago, Jeppes said:

I would pick u4 plus or u5 over that one. Engineers have taken a look at those and theyve opened up the bottom fan slots so that air can move through more freely.

I looked into it and they do look good + a little more airy! They're both micro ATX so it would mean rethinking my build, also they have no USB-C 😒

The umx4 might be okay tho, but no usb C either...

15 hours ago, Lairlair said:

I looked into it and they do look good + a little more airy! They're both micro ATX so it would mean rethinking my build, also they have no USB-C 😒

The umx4 might be okay tho, but no usb C either...

Both are atx.

3 hours ago, Jeppes said:

Both are atx.

Oh yeah! I don't know where I saw they weren't. In any case, I have to give it some thoughts.