High pressure 120 mm RGB fans for AIO

oeci
Go to solution Solved by oeci,

I went forth and bought 3 120 mm Alpenföhn Wing Boost 3 ARGB High Speed to replace the radiator fans plus 3 140 mm Alpenföhn Wing Boost 3 ARGB to replace the case fans. I still need to tweak the fan curves but so far the noise is far less disturbing than before. I know that it's probably subjective perception but to me the new fans are less noisy than their predecessors. I reason for this could be the fact that they move more air and thus can be run at lower speeds to achive identical or even better cooling. After all the old case fans were 120  mm ones while the new ones are 140 mm. All in all I would say the fan swap has been a success.

I've got a typical first world problem: I upgraded my Ryzen 3800X to a 5950X (see) and got PBO dialed in to the point I'm quite satisfied with the performance. The only problem is the fact that the CPU runs a bit hot and the AIO, a Deepcool Captain 240 Pro, struggles to keep the temps under control. Or more precisely under heavy load (gaming, photo editing, benchmarks) it does manage to keep the temps around 80 ° C but it needs to ramp up the fans to keep the temps under control and  the fans that came with the AIO aren't exactly quiet.

Now I'm looking for good high pressure 120mm RGB fans to replace the stock fans. Of course they should also run as quietly as possible. Since I control my RGB components with Asus Aura Corsair fans are out of the equation, I don't want to deal with another software/ controller. Can anybody recommend something that meets my criteria? What about the Alpenföhn Wing Boost 3 ARGB High Speed? They seem to tick all the check boxes. Any other suggestions? BTW I don't care about the price of the fans (within reason of course). Wouldn't it be silly to buy a 800 USD CPU but cheap out on fans?

There is no replacement for RGB except more RGB ?

The fans will need to be moving a lot of air to cool the radiator and in order to do that they will make a lot of noise. If the air you are pushing into the radiator is already hot air you benefit more from using cold air than changing the fans to slower ones.

If quietness is important move the tower to a different room as high end equipment tends to be loud. And or massively underclock it so it needs less cooling

I'm well aware that fans running at high RPM are bound to make noise. But there is definitely a difference between good and bad fans. And the ones that came with the AIO are very noisy. I've got different fans for the case and these make far less noise when running at the same speed as the AIO fans. But they are not really high pressure fans and thus are not my first choice when it comes to replacing the AIO fans.

You dont need High pressure fans for an AIO. 

but buy Arctic P12 ARGB

2 hours ago, oeci said:

I'm well aware that fans running at high RPM are bound to make noise. But there is definitely a difference between good and bad fans. And the ones that came with the AIO are very noisy. I've got different fans for the case and these make far less noise when running at the same speed as the AIO fans. But they are not really high pressure fans and thus are not my first choice when it comes to replacing the AIO fans.

Hello oeci,

I don't think it is really fair to say the cooler is "struggling", as it keeps the 5950x at 80C at max loads ( I run 5950x processors in both of my systems, and at the loads you have mentioned, 80C is pretty good). I get noise can be an issue since the fans will need to ramp up close to max in order to cool the 5950x. You will more than likely have that issue with any pressure type fans you put on the radiator(unless the noises you are experiencing now is rattling or bearings grinding). The fans that you have mentioned have dbA levels that are 6.8 higher than the ones on the cooler (36.8 vs 30); you likely won't be happy with that sound profile either. As @emosun has mentioned, you would benefit more from cooler air. The fans you are interested in appear to be an upgrade over the stock ones in every other spec, but it should be noted that the sound profile is going to be higher as well.

DeepCool Support

Yeah but the goal is to find fans that don't need to run at full speed to cool the radiator. And with the fans I mentioned my hope is they are able to cool the radiator more efficiently than the ones that came with the AIO.

2 hours ago, oeci said:

Yeah but the goal is to find fans that don't need to run at full speed to cool the radiator. 

You understand that the majority of the noise the fans make is from the air being forced through the rad and not the fans themselves, yes? Meaning better fans will still be moving the exact same amount of air.

I think your are working under the gas engine with a muffler mentality rather than an electric fan moving air mentality.

5 hours ago, emosun said:

You understand that the majority of the noise the fans make is from the air being forced through the rad and not the fans themselves, yes? Meaning better fans will still be moving the exact same amount of air.

I think your are working under the gas engine with a muffler mentality rather than an electric fan moving air mentality.

The design of the fan blades can reduce noise alot. and some fans have insane motor noise(CM im looking at u)

Guys I appreciate your input. But I didn't ask for an explanation how fans make noise, I asked for fan recommendations. Guess I'll have to buy the ones I mentioned in my initial post and try out myself whether or not they will improve the situation.

• 3 weeks later...

I went forth and bought 3 120 mm Alpenföhn Wing Boost 3 ARGB High Speed to replace the radiator fans plus 3 140 mm Alpenföhn Wing Boost 3 ARGB to replace the case fans. I still need to tweak the fan curves but so far the noise is far less disturbing than before. I know that it's probably subjective perception but to me the new fans are less noisy than their predecessors. I reason for this could be the fact that they move more air and thus can be run at lower speeds to achive identical or even better cooling. After all the old case fans were 120  mm ones while the new ones are 140 mm. All in all I would say the fan swap has been a success.