Repair, Replace, or Rebuild?

What I am asking for is an assessment on if I should just scrap it and build a brand new rig, swap out some components, or maybe reconfigure or repair what I already have to get the most bang for the buck. Current components list is below.

Thoughts, concerns, and recommendations are all appreciated. Thanks again LTT Forum Community!

Budget & Location

Ideal budget would be around 3.5k but am flexible if it makes sense. Best case scenario would be recommendations on just swapping components and using most of what I currently have.

Of course I am trying to make the overall best decision regarding budget but am not afraid to spend a little more if its worth it. Admittedly, I have not been current with the community or PC building in general so I really have no idea what parts are good, current, or to be avoided. I know that GPUs are expensive and hard to find right now but that's about the extent of my current knowledge. Prices would best be listed in $USD. Thank you.

Aim

I use it as a general desktop but also some gaming when I have time and hopefully some streaming in the future. I play Skyrim, Witcher 3, etc. The best case scenario is I would really like to get it to be able to run "Star Citizen" but it can't in its current state (it is really laggy when I try to run it).

Monitors

ASUS VG278Q 27" Full HD 1080P 144Hz 1ms Eye Care G-Sync Compatible Adaptive Sync Gaming Monitor with DP HDMI DVI

I am currently only running the one, but would like to be able to run two. Although, the onboard sound is a bit pathetic for how quiet it is.

Why are you upgrading?

Backstory: I build the majority of my current rig back in 2013 (using recommendations from this very forum). In 2019 I wanted to add a second GPU and get a "tune up" by a professional, when I did so I also had to upgrade to the current PSU because it wasn't supplying enough power to the existing rig and actually ended up damaging my SSD as a result, which I also replaced with the current one listed. Fast-forward to late 2020 / early 2021: I moved across country and I boxed up my rig pretty well and it was in a non-climate controlled storage unit for several months. When I finally got it out and set back up, there was some slight mold on the case but that was it. However, now it seems like it is running way too hot and will on occasion auto-restart because of a failure somewhere.

Current Components List:

Case - CORSAIR Vengeance C70 Mid-Tower Case - Military Green

Motherboard - ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 Socket AM3+ DDR3 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 AMD 990FX ATX Motherboard

CPU - AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition Processor

Graphics Card - x2 MSI AMD Radeon R9 280X, 3GB GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card R9 280X Gaming 3G

Ram - x4 bCorsair CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 Vengeance 8GB (1x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory 1.5V

Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i

Harddrives - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E500B/AM)

WD Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop 3.5" Hard Drive (WD1002FAEX ) (Old Model)

Western Digital Caviar Green 3 TB SATA III 64 MB Cache Bare/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD30EZRX

PSU - Corsair HXi Series, HX1200i, 1200 Watt, 80+ Platinum Certified, Fully Modular - Digital Power Supply

Monitor - ASUS VG278Q 27" Full HD 1080P 144Hz 1ms Eye Care G-Sync Compatible Adaptive Sync Gaming Monitor with DP HDMI DVI

Misc -

Asus Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-Ray Drive (BC-12B1ST)

ASUS 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST Black

Corsair Air Series AF120 LED Quiet Edition High Airflow Fan Twin Pack - Red

Temp Screenshot.jpg

Edited by SierraDeuce

3 minutes ago, SierraDeuce said:

What I am asking for is an assessment on if I should just scrap it and build a brand new rig, swap out some components, or maybe reconfigure or repair what I already have to get the most bang for the buck. Current components list is below.

Thoughts, concerns, and recommendations are all appreciated. Thanks again LTT Forum Community!

Budget & Location

Of course I am trying to make the overall best decision regarding budget but am not afraid to spend a little more if its worth it. Admittedly, I have not been current with the community or PC building in general so I really have no idea what parts are good, current, or to be avoided. I know that GPUs are expensive and hard to find right now but that's about the extent of my current knowledge. Prices would best be listed in $USD. Thank you.

Aim

I use it as a general desktop but also some gaming when I have time and hopefully some streaming in the future. I play Skyrim, Witcher 3, etc. The best case scenario is I would really like to get it to be able to run "Star Citizen" but it can't in its current state (it is really laggy when I try to run it).

Monitors

ASUS VG278Q 27" Full HD 1080P 144Hz 1ms Eye Care G-Sync Compatible Adaptive Sync Gaming Monitor with DP HDMI DVI

I am currently only running the one, but would like to be able to run two. Although, the onboard sound is a bit pathetic for how quiet it is.

Why are you upgrading?

Backstory: I build the majority of my current rig back in 2013 (using recommendations from this very forum). In 2019 I wanted to add a second GPU and get a "tune up" by a professional, when I did so I also had to upgrade to the current PSU because it wasn't supplying enough power to the existing rig and actually ended up damaging my SSD as a result, which I also replaced with the current one listed. Fast-forward to late 2020 / early 2021: I moved across country and I boxed up my rig pretty well and it was in a non-climate controlled storage unit for several months. When I finally got it out and set back up, there was some slight mold on the case but that was it. However, now it seems like it is running way too hot and will on occasion auto-restart because of a failure somewhere.

Current Components List:

Case - CORSAIR Vengeance C70 Mid-Tower Case - Military Green

Motherboard - ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 Socket AM3+ DDR3 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 AMD 990FX ATX Motherboard

CPU - AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition Processor

Graphics Card - x2 MSI AMD Radeon R9 280X, 3GB GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card R9 280X Gaming 3G

Ram - x4 bCorsair CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 Vengeance 8GB (1x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory 1.5V

Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i

Harddrives - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E500B/AM)

WD Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop 3.5" Hard Drive (WD1002FAEX ) (Old Model)

Western Digital Caviar Green 3 TB SATA III 64 MB Cache Bare/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD30EZRX

PSU - Corsair HXi Series, HX1200i, 1200 Watt, 80+ Platinum Certified, Fully Modular - Digital Power Supply

Monitor - ASUS VG278Q 27" Full HD 1080P 144Hz 1ms Eye Care G-Sync Compatible Adaptive Sync Gaming Monitor with DP HDMI DVI

Misc -

Asus Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-Ray Drive (BC-12B1ST)

ASUS 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST Black

Corsair Air Series AF120 LED Quiet Edition High Airflow Fan Twin Pack - Red

It’s really hard to recommend anything without a budget.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

24 minutes ago, Downkey said:

It’s really hard to recommend anything without a budget.

OP edited their post to include an ideal budget of 3500 USD.

elephants

For what you are doing I would consider this extremely overkill, and it’s half your budget! 

You can reuse your old CPU cooler if you want, also the SSD isn’t a need but is a nice to have 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($418.89 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($82.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Silicon Power A80 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card  ($700.00) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A ATX Mid Tower Case  ($70.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Enermax Revolution D.F. 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.50 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1732.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-23 18:35 EDT-0400

geometry is hard
b550 > x570