NVME RAID Help B450-F Gaming

aDoomGuy
Go to solution Solved by jwwagner25,

Again with the *not solving your problem* have you thought about trying to sell what you have and buy larger capacity? back to your immediate problem my best suggestion would be to find a detailed guide for your motherboard. Are you positive that you did the necessary steps in bios prior to going for windows install? also sure you have the proper drivers from AMD?

Since I need to reinstall my OS (Win 10 Pro) I want to RAID 0 my two NVME drives (Kingston A2000). I just want them in the same volume. So I go into BIOS and set NVME RAID to enabled and build the array.

I have two more arrays (SATA SSD RAID 0 and my Seagate 3TB as VOLUME because I can only control all SATA ports but it woirks so.. its fine). What doesn't work is NVME RAID.

When I go to install Windows from my flash drive I still see two drives and not one as expected (well I honestly expected to not see any drives before loading RAID drivers). My SATA drives are disconnected BTW and loading RAID drivers didn't do anything.

I would assume NVME RAID is supported on this motherboard since I have the option to turn NVME RAID on and off. 

In BIOS the array (ARRAY 3) is ready but when the Windows installer loads drives it sees them as two single ones. Why is that? I tried to load all the RAID drivers lol but it didn't help. I eventually installed Windows to Disk 0 for now atleast but it doesn't appear Windows can see that the drives are a part of an array.

B450-F Gaming with latest BIOS

Windows 10 Pro 21H1 update.

when I did nvme raid briefly on my b550 it was a pain in the ass. different mobo vendor, but there were several different areas in BIOS settings where nvme had to explicitly be 'enabled', then when installing windows, drivers had to be installed, then reboot back to installation/reload available disks, then (and only then) the array would show up. I would youtube your board vendor + nvme raid setup for more detailed steps, what exactly needs to be enabled in BIOS

i may not be able to change your mind but why do you want them to be combined? just for speed increase, or neatness? what are the sizes? 

2 minutes ago, jwwagner25 said:

when I did nvme raid briefly on my b550 it was a pain in the ass. different mobo vendor, but there were several different areas in BIOS settings where nvme had to explicitly be 'enabled', then when installing windows, drivers had to be installed, then reboot back to installation/reload available disks, then (and only then) the array would show up. I would youtube your board vendor + nvme raid setup for more detailed steps, what exactly needs to be enabled in BIOS

i may not be able to change your mind but why do you want them to be combined? just for speed increase, or neatness? what are the sizes? 

For convenience. I've been sitting here with 4 Steam libraries, 4 Origin libraries etc. I don't want 4 volumes anymore. I would just extend the volume but ...OS drive... can't do that... Also hoping it would expand SSD life because writing is shared between two drives.

I got

2x Kinston A2000 NVME 1TB Each

2x Samsung 850 QVO 1 TB each

1x Seagate 3TB 7200 RPM (this is the only one I planned to raid but they stopped making it lol).

Again with the *not solving your problem* have you thought about trying to sell what you have and buy larger capacity? back to your immediate problem my best suggestion would be to find a detailed guide for your motherboard. Are you positive that you did the necessary steps in bios prior to going for windows install? also sure you have the proper drivers from AMD?

7 minutes ago, jwwagner25 said:

Appreciate it man. 🙂

Yeah I did all the steps in that manual, thanks. (My mobo manual only explains what RAID is heh..). Well, I may try StoreMi rather than selling and buying new stuff. I got some good deals on this equipment. I'm watching a video on how to do it on the X470 and if I have done everything I think I'll give this Store Mi a try. Cheers buddy. 😄 

EDIT: Also downloaded the B450 RAID driver from AMD, this worked when I booted from a SATA RAID in the past.

8 minutes ago, jwwagner25 said:

best of luck, wish I could have helped more! 🙂

Thanks for that as well. You found me an actual Asus manual that described what to do, which is pretty good help! 😄

Actually I might give Asus RAID drivers a try.

42 minutes ago, jwwagner25 said:

also sure you have the proper drivers from AMD?

........AND SUCCESS!!

Asus drivers did the trick. Just install bottom driver and boom both volumes gone and then install RAID driver boom RAID volume present.

Thanks a lot man, I don't think I would have thought about the Asus drivers if not for that little sentence. 😁

On 5/22/2021 at 5:20 AM, aDoomGuy said:

Thanks for that as well. You found me an actual Asus manual that described what to do, which is pretty good help! 😄

Actually I might give Asus RAID drivers a try.

very cool, glad it worked out!!