Chia Mining

How viable is chia mining with a budget of $500? If viable, would be the best build for it?

Not very profitable at that cost. Probably could only get like 20tb on the market with a good deal with 2 external hdds. BUt the market is growing very fast, and since there are no pools now, there is a good chance you will get nothing.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Not very profitable at that cost. Probably could only get like 20tb on the market with a good deal with 2 external hdds. BUt the market is growing very fast, and since there are no pools now, there is a good chance you will get nothing.

Thanks.

What would be the minimum cost for something profitable?

Just now, Human1235234 said:

Thanks.

What would be the minimum cost for something profitable?

Your probably not making profit these days. The total size is growing fast, and hdd prices are going up. Your a bit late for this if you want to make a quick profit.

der8aurer recently tested Chia mining, to see if it will really kill an SSD, but ended up more covering how absolutely pointless it is. Each plot is just a chance to win a reward, and with the sheer number of people that jumped on the bandwagon, it would take years to win anything, without many, many plots. Those plots take time to create, which is dependent on the drive speed, obviously (fast SSDs or go home), but also surprisingly use up a lot of CPU and RAM resources as well. While, you can technically plot on the most basic potato of a computer, the time to create the number plots you'd need to even have a chance of winning any rewards at all, pretty much necessitates a very beefy rig.

To even bring your odds down to a few months (and remember this is a moving target... the more plots being created overall the more you need to create to keep up), you'd need at least 10TB of plots, which for SSD storage gets real expensive quick.

And then there's that pesky SSD failure issue. You can't just buy crappy SSDs. You need high quality drives with TBWs north of 1000. Wth a pedestrian TBW of 150 or so, you'll be replacing drives every month.

Long and short, Chia mining is just not very profitable. You'd honestly probably do better long term paying even scalped prices for a 30 series card, and doing Ethereum mining on that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

25 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

der8aurer recently tested Chia mining, to see if it will really kill an SSD, but ended up more covering how absolutely pointless it is. Each plot is just a chance to win a reward, and with the sheer number of people that jumped on the bandwagon, it would take years to win anything, without many, many plots. Those plots take time to create, which is dependent on the drive speed, obviously (fast SSDs or go home), but also surprisingly use up a lot of CPU and RAM resources as well. While, you can technically plot on the most basic potato of a computer, the time to create the number plots you'd need to even have a chance of winning any rewards at all, pretty much necessitates a very beefy rig.

To even bring your odds down to a few months (and remember this is a moving target... the more plots being created overall the more you need to create to keep up), you'd need at least 10TB of plots, which for SSD storage gets real expensive quick.

And then there's that pesky SSD failure issue. You can't just buy crappy SSDs. You need high quality drives with TBWs north of 1000. Wth a pedestrian TBW of 150 or so, you'll be replacing drives every month.

Long and short, Chia mining is just not very profitable. You'd honestly probably do better long term paying even scalped prices for a 30 series card, and doing Ethereum mining on that.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Your probably not making profit these days. The total size is growing fast, and hdd prices are going up. Your a bit late for this if you want to make a quick profit.

Alright, thanks you for the help.

On 5/21/2021 at 1:15 PM, Chris Pratt said:

I'm just now looking into chia but I think you've missed a crucial point in the process.  Plotting is done on a fast ssd and storing is done on hdd's.  The plotting is cpu intensive but the storage is done on minimal specs.  I honestly know little about this subject and am trying to learn more, but that much I have figured out.  It is indeed a moving target but cpu + ram + fast ssd + high capacity warm storage seams to be what it's all about.  Luckily enough in my tech hording nature I have a handful of gaming PC's and servers just laying around, each gaming PC is cranking on it's gpu but I have all of the cpu and storage going unused.  My plan is to "retire" my main machine, have it crank on a gpu and put the cpu and ram into work on a 2tb nvme that I'm going to buy tomorrow, then fire up my two dell server's and let it offload to them.  Sadly enough I will be dailying on my laptop with a 1060 but to be honest, of everything day to day it will run everything I do with a slight hit in perceived speed.  I don't play AAA games these days only free to play, so my obsession with tech will hopefully pay for it's self in hind sight.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission