i think i fried my gpu. palit gtx 1080

hello,

recently i was noticing my gpu was running a bit hot. so after researching, most of the topics suggest replacing thermal paste. so i decided to do that myself.

i even reached the fans and cleaned the cooler since i already opened up the gpu. but after i finished my work, i plugged in my gpu, and turned on the pc, the fans went 100%, and no display, just black screen. i did everything as carefully as i could. no thermal paste was spilled. the only mistake that i could say i did, i installed the bracket that holds the cooled to the ship in the wrong way, it touched the capacitors. the first time the fans didn't even turn on, so i noticed my mistake and fixed it, and then things went south from there. here is my photos

photo1.jpeg.df6113fb34f9fca44ebb778195872219.jpeg

photo2.jpeg.79af861e52157d34970eb48c52331b3c.jpeg

this is the bracket that i am worried about 

photo3.thumb.jpeg.35745e8e972f22502a5eeda6293ab23d.jpeg

and these are the capacitors that i think it touched

photo4.thumb.jpeg.1ff6c29d02dc3625d303fb08f2285fc1.jpeg

was this my mistake that friend the GPU, or something else is causing this issue?

14 minutes ago, kabo93 said:

hello,

recently i was noticing my gpu was running a bit hot. so after researching, most of the topics suggest replacing thermal paste. so i decided to do that myself.

i even reached the fans and cleaned the cooler since i already opened up the gpu. but after i finished my work, i plugged in my gpu, and turned on the pc, the fans went 100%, and no display, just black screen. i did everything as carefully as i could. no thermal paste was spilled. the only mistake that i could say i did, i installed the bracket that holds the cooled to the ship in the wrong way, it touched the capacitors. the first time the fans didn't even turn on, so i noticed my mistake and fixed it, and then things went south from there. here is my photos

photo1.jpeg.df6113fb34f9fca44ebb778195872219.jpeg

photo2.jpeg.79af861e52157d34970eb48c52331b3c.jpeg

and these are the capacitors that i think it touched

photo4.thumb.jpeg.1ff6c29d02dc3625d303fb08f2285fc1.jpeg

was this my mistake that friend the GPU, or something else is causing this issue?

jesus.. this exact thing was always my fear about computers. what is your motherboard?

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

19 minutes ago, kabo93 said:

Was the PC turned on when you noticed your error?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

14 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Was the PC turned on when you noticed your error?

yes, i turned it on, after i noticed the gpu didn't turn on, i immediately turned it off. it was for couple of seconds. but i think the damage is done

1 minute ago, kabo93 said:

yes, i turned it on, after i noticed the gpu didn't turn on, i immediately turned it off. it was for couple of seconds. but i think the damage is done

Does your CPU have integrated graphics? You can try to see if the graphics card is detected in device manager

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

Does your CPU have integrated graphics? You can try to see if the graphics card is detected in device manager

i tried that, no graphic card is detected in device manager. but nothing was plugged in the GPU. im bringing my second screen to try with the integrated graphics and gpu plugged in

12 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

i plugged in one monitor in the  gpu, and one monitor in the integrated graphics. GPU is not detected, and fans doesn't slow down after boot

36 minutes ago, Seban said:

jesus.. this exact thing was always my fear about computers. what is your motherboard?

i have MSI Z170A gaming pro

4 minutes ago, kabo93 said:

i plugged in one monitor in the  gpu, and one monitor in the integrated graphics. GPU is not detected, and fans doesn't slow down after boot

Windows still boots correctly?

Primary PC:

7 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Windows still boots correctly?

yes, i logged in into my account, and went to device manager. and scanned for hardware changes. just my integrated graphics was visible