DOM or CF?

da na

I need to replace an old 4.3gb ATA (commonly known as IDE) HDD. Should I get a 4gb DOM:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333540449924?hash=item4da88f5e84:g:q4cAAOSw9u1eZcZu

Or a CF - to - ATA adapter and stick in a 4gb CF card I already have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036DDXUM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2JSBUBRVPP4SX&psc=1

Read/write speeds would be around the same speed as the original HDD and the upgraded disks are both around the same price point. I'm just wondering which would be more compatible/reliable.

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

ATA

I think you mean pata

theres parallel advanced technology attachment (pata/ide)And serial advanced technology attachment (sata)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I think you mean pata

theres parallel advanced technology attachment (pata/ide)And serial advanced technology attachment (sata)

ATA was renamed PATA when SATA was released. So you can technically say PATA, ATA, or IDE.

2 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

ATA was renamed PATA when SATA was released. So you can technically say PATA, ATA, or IDE.

Yay. Another fucking usb paradox

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

DOM stands for Disk On Module. Basically a tiny SSD with an IDE interface. Meant to replace dying HDDs in older systems.

Ohh, the things that have a female IDE connector and you just stick it on an IDE controller?
I'd personally go with the CompactFlash. If something goes wrong or you need to transfer files it's a lot easier to just shut down the machine, stick the files on the card, then put it back in the machine.

It's a LOT harder to do that with a DOM.

elephants

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

What's a DOM?
My school blocks eBay on their WiFi.

Basically a flash card that directly attaches to a ide port.

I personally prefer normal flash cards for these as you can choose the quality of the card you get instead of whatever generic stuff they put in the direct attachement ones.

1 minute ago, Murasaki said:

Compatibility-wise idk. But the CF adapter will always be more convinient.

Also noticed that the cf adapter does 2 at a time so op can do a live backup to a second card any time they want. Which is nice since I assume this is a very needed system running some old machinery, program,... or whatever.

Just now, jaslion said:

Also noticed that the cf adapter does 2 at a time so op can do a live backup to a second card any time they want. Which is nice since I assume this is a very needed system running some old machinery, program,... or whatever.

I'm looking in to refurbishing an old Compaq laptop. It's in near perfect condition but according to the seller, it "makes a loud noise and gets stuck in the windows 98 boot screen", most likely a dead HDD.

I'm looking in to refurbishing an old Compaq laptop. It's in near perfect condition but according to the seller, it "makes a loud noise and gets stuck in the windows 98 boot screen", most likely a dead HDD.

Oh ok if it's just a fun project then anything goes really. Still I do prefer the cf route.

Just now, jaslion said:

Oh ok if it's just a fun project then anything goes really. Still I do prefer the cf route.

Yeah, found a couple copies of Win98 software in the attic the other week and thought I'd try them out. Also the laptop just looks kinda cool:

image.thumb.png.481e9b353e0192e0bd64201a18fe3ec2.png

Yeah, found a couple copies of Win98 software in the attic the other week and thought I'd try them out. Also the laptop just looks kinda cool:

image.thumb.png.481e9b353e0192e0bd64201a18fe3ec2.png

Oh haha I had the blue version of that about a month or 2 ago pass by. Had to recover some ancient accounting documents and was "given" it.  (more like thanks for the files we don't want it anymore). Put it in the recycling bin as it's ewaste nowadays but funky little laptop.

10 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Oh haha I had the blue version of that about a month or 2 ago pass by. Had to recover some ancient accounting documents and was "given" it.  (more like thanks for the files we don't want it anymore). Put it in the recycling bin as it's ewaste nowadays but funky little laptop.

F

7 hours ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Meant to replace dying HDDs in older systems.

Their primary use is typically in things like thin clients that don't need much storage. It keeps everything on one board, eliminating the need for cables. They're still made today for SATA devices.

I'd suggest using a CF card in your case. It makes much more sense than a DOM. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)