Multi-monitor setup shared between two gaming PCs

Budget (including currency): $120

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: General gaming and coding productivity.

Hi! I've been trying to figure out my new setup and would appreciate some recommendations.

I'm trying to figure out what the most optimal way would be to connect my gaming laptop and gaming desktop to 2 monitors. I would like to be able to press

a button and switch between the 2 systems... 

Problem #1 - Laptop only has 1 HDMI port and I want to connect to two the 2 monitors (and be able to extend the displays).

Problem #2 - I suspect I will need to plug the outputs to a hub type thing (which is connected to the two monitors) where I can achieve the desired behaviour.

I do not mind using various adapters to achieve the beforementioned - but considering gaming - does using USB to HDMI impact performance? Are the graphics 

processed by the GPU regardless of whether the output is directly connected to the GPU?

Attached is a simplified diagram of what I want to achieve (without sacrificing gaming performance).

Any recommendations or solutions (or even the names of the components I need) would be kindly appreciated!

Untitled Diagram.jpg

You need a KVM switch. Those will allow you to instantly switch between the input from multiple machines and will allow you to route the keyboards and mouse to the machine that you are actively using.

To sum up, a KVM is a device that allows one to quickly and easily switch between multiple PCs or servers from a single console (keyboard, monitor, mouse setup) for greater efficiency, management, and both cost and space saving.

9 minutes ago, CrackkiiCrazy said:

does using USB to HDMI impact performance?

Yes. The performance will be much less. I mean the FPS and the quality will be surely low. If all you want to to is coding, you can probably grab one of those converters. But not for gaming.

If your laptop has a Thunderbolt 3 port, you can use a Thunderbolt hub, which would allow you to connect more monitors(upto 3 is what my HP Thunderbolt Dock G5 does).

Edited by LTTfan2006
Added what a quick Google Search says about KVM switch.
On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide