Ryzen 5 5600x boot issues

Bpowell
Go to solution Solved by Bpowell,

Fixed my bios issue. Apparently it was my gpu needed a firmware update. Thanks everyone!

So I have a ryzen 5 5600x with a msi b450 tomahawk max with 2 x 8gb gskill trident neo, evga titan x hybrid, 1000 watt fractal psu. I used my sons ryzen 5 2600 to m flash my bios to the version from 2-8-2021 that has the support for ryzen 5000 cpus. The bios update went smoothly and I verified the version it updated to in the bios menu. I swapped in the ryzen 5 5600x and now I am getting thr cpu debug light when trying to post. I tried reseating the cpu and that didn't work. I tried to clear cos by jumping the pins with a screw driver but not sure if I did it right. Is my cpu dead? Any ideas? I'm no sure what to try next. Thanks in advance for the help!

How could you check it, if you switched?

I guess you had some luck with you but not to the end. try reinstalling the ram (take out and in again). Also what type of ram, speed? At least you know it's not bricked, which is more of the issues people would or could have. Also it could be an defective CPU? not sure.

So it posted with the 2600 after the bios update and that's where you verified the version, shut down and switched to 5600x then CPU light?

Try the 2600 again?

It's really sounding like it's a defective CPU. Possibly try switching back to the 2600 and updating to the beta BIOS (7C02v3B2) and see if that fixes it, but I would start looking into how to RMA the CPU. I'd do a memory reseat (might fix it, probably wouldn't if it was working with the 2600) and make sure all the power connectors are connected, but it really sounds like a busted 5600X. At least stock is mostly there for them so the RMA process won't be too long.

Yeah I used the 2600 to update bios and verify the version. Ill try seating the ram and checking all the connections again. The ram is gskill trident z neo 3600 2 x 8gb. If that doesn't work ill throw the 2600 back in and see if I can try the beta bios and if not. I guess its RMA time. Thanks everyone for the replies. I felt like I was loosing my mind. Ill give it another go tomorrow and post back if I figure anything out.

So I did my troubleshooting steps with confirming connections and reseating ram and that didn't help. I then swapped in my sons 2600 and booted up no problem. I went ahead and updated the bios to the beta bios from last month and reinstalled the 5600x and it works! Whew. So now.... I sometimes can't get it to boot into bios. I have 2 drives, a ssd with windows and a hdd for mass storage. With the hdd disconnected I can boot into bios no problem. With both connected I dont get any signal to the monitor while trying to boot into bios. The monitor just goes to sleep but when I boot to windows it loads just fine. So im assuming that there may be some sort of issue with a bios boot priority setting or something of that nature. I ran out of time to dig into that tonight but thanks for your guys help! I'm glad I tried another bios even though its hard on the nerves!

nice to see it worked, weird it didn't work on the "workable" BIOS update.

not sure about your MB vs others, that these newer updates can mess with USB or other ports to be disabled?

so it could be related to BIOS version to get the 5000 series to work.

Fixed my bios issue. Apparently it was my gpu needed a firmware update. Thanks everyone!