Why the awful video titles?

Aniallation
20 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Is an interview with the google ceo and a review of latest ipads more juicy, or new televisions and overview of an event more interesting.

What? I don't understand what you are trying to say. If that's a question for me then I'd say the interview with Google's CEO is more interesting than some new TV and a recap of an event. But I don't see how that's relevant to the discussion we're having.

LTT is making a shitload of videos every week. Most of the other channels you mentioned are not making new videos every day.

Yes... What's your point?

If there was a metric to measure the computer savviness of the viewers of a channel, LTT's would be out of the chart. The number of non-tech savvy users is much higher than the number of tech-savvy users. More users = More views = More moolah.

I think you're highly overestimating the knowledge of the average LTT viewer. Like you said, they are trying to appeal to non-tech-enthusiasts and most of their videos are very uninformative or contain incorrect info.

If a computer savviness measurement existed then I'd be very surprised if the LTT audience scored that much higher than some other channel on Youtube. Knowing that a Ryzen 5000 series CPU fits in an AM4 socket, or knowing what an SSD is, does not make you very computer savvy. I think a lot of LTT viewers falls into the category of "knowledgeable enough to think they know everything, but not knowledgeable enough to realize they know next to nothing" category.

In any case, I don't really see what your point is.

That is the core part of my argument LTT is not a 3 man band. It is small-time media corp. THe main interest of a business is to let it prosper. This is a calculated risk. You probably won't stop watching LTT because the titles suck. However more people will be intrigued by them. And hence you get to keep your old userbase, and add some new ones.

Again, what is your point? You're basically just repeating what I said before.

LTT wants to make as much money as possible, so that's why they push this shitty clickbait titles and thumbnails. I have never said the opposite. I just think it's a shame that people seem to enjoy that kind of shitty content when there is so much better stuff out there. Again, LTT is kind of like the Buzzfeed of tech. It caters to a rather low common denominator because that's what makes them the most money. 

Point of example: "Apple blew my expectations: M1 mac review" is obviously much more catchy than "a review of the new M1 apple mac mini". Sure the second title is much better info wise, but the first title strikes a  much better balance b/w info and interest. Also the thumbnail is meant to be viewed alongside the title.

But that's not how LTT titles their videos.

They title things this way:

image.png.1a17229699d11ef4805f279a5c0867b9.png

or like this:

image.png.d3369d2062ecaaeba588d8c40c638b73.png

They don't even mention the product name in the title or the thumbnail.

Their recap of the Android 12 event? It's called "Apple: We're more innovative. Google: Hold my beer" and it has a picture of an Android beer can in the thumbnail for some reason. 

Comparing some half assed vlogging channel with a tech channel seems a bit unfair, doesn't it?

Why? Also, it's your opinion that they are "half assed vlogging channels". I think LTT is a "half assed clown channel that happens to have a lot of expensive tech as props".

The youtube algorithm favours high/steady growth channels. If LTT's starts servicing it's channel more to it's existing userbase, then growth will slow, then stagnate. The recommendation program sees this and reduces the number of videos of that channel sponsored on the recommended list. And it becomes a vicious cycle. This is why many awesome channels have low viewership numbers. It is just recommended less.

Yes, and what's the problem with that?

Why should you and I care about how much money the channel makes and just roll over when they make changes that worsen their content?

I mean, imagine if people said the same thing about lootboxes.

"The market favors micro transactions. If EA stopped with their loot boxes then their sales would slow, then stagnate. Then they don't make as much money and it becomes a vicious cycle. That's why so many awesome gaming studios have low sales. It just doesn't make as much money as lootboxes".

Well so what? Just because lootboxes makes EA games a ton of money doesn't mean I can't complain about it and wish they would stop shoven them into every game they can.

You and I are consumers of the products they put out. We really should judge the products by what we experience. We shouldn't factor in how much money something makes when judging how much we enjoy the content. The money making part is for the company to worry about. We consumers should critique the quality of the content, not the business and revenue plan.

No, but it's revenue will slow down and new expansions would have to be cut off.

I don't see how that's my problem.

Comparatively hard-tech and pretty much the hardest tech channel with a subscriber base of more than 10 mn. 10 million people cannot watch Gamers Nexus with it's ultra-hard tech content(unfortunately)

I don't understand what you mean. What does "hard-tech" mean? 

LMG is a company and companys exist to make money. People are more likely to watch videos with clickbait titles and stupid thumbnails, so LMG has to either do that or lose revenue.

Over the years, doing things such as using clickbait titles has enabled them to grow to the point where they can finance videos such as the gold xbox controllers and other incredibly over-the-top (and expensive) projects you basically can't see on any other channel because nobody else can afford them. 

All those other channels that "do just fine without using clickbait titles" don't have nearly as many employees, channels, or subscribers as LMG does. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.