NTFS compression on SSD

LOST TALE
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

MIght as well try it. I have found games to have no noticable load time difference, but will use about 10-40% less disk space.

CPUs can compress and de compress data very fast now, normally faster than the ssd can read or write the data.

Random IO is a bit worse due to how NTFS does compression, so 64k(i think) of data needs to be read for any random read.

Should I turn on file compression on an SSD. Could it be so fast that my CPU bottlenecks read speed during game load times?

I read this but posting for comments:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-ntfs-compression,3073-11.html

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

MIght as well try it. I have found games to have no noticable load time difference, but will use about 10-40% less disk space.

CPUs can compress and de compress data very fast now, normally faster than the ssd can read or write the data.

Random IO is a bit worse due to how NTFS does compression, so 64k(i think) of data needs to be read for any random read.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

how bad is the effect on random IO as it seems to be very important for performance. Have you tested and compared on crystal disk bench?

Also, I used compression on one of my drives but now I wonder how better random 4k would be without it.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

51 minutes ago, LOST TALE said:

how bad is the effect on random IO as it seems to be very important for performance. Have you tested and compared on crystal disk bench?

Also, I used compression on one of my drives but now I wonder how better random 4k would be without it.

Crystal disk mark isn't a great test here as its either uncompressable data, or all zeros, so not a good test.

Why not test it your self? You already have the hardware and software to test.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Crystal disk mark isn't a great test here as its either uncompressable data, or all zeros, so not a good test.

Why not test it your self? You already have the hardware and software to test.

I'll just keep this https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-ntfs-compression,3073-6.html

and no because it's easier to look it up or ask