Should I Build

Budget (including currency): N/A

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming, Work

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

A while back, I started planning for a new setup, mostly from scratch. I got most of peripherals, i.e. mouse, monitor, etc. everything except the pc itself, since I was waiting for upcoming releases. But then of course covid happened, and then the shortage happened. I had hoped that it would sort die down, but now almost half a year later, its not happening. I was originally planing to build with a x570 Hero with a 5900x and a 3080/6800xt/6900xt. But again, chip shortages. So currently, I am wondering if I should still work towards an x570 build. Because, honestly, I dont think I'll be able to get my hands on any gpu at a decent price anytime soon. For the CPU, I think i should be able to get one for myself now as stock for that seems to be getting better weekly. but since it doesnt come with integrated graphics, it will basically become a very expensive brick and heater.

So, If i really cant get myself a decent gpu for my build, my question is

Should I still build a PC this year? Or should I wait till gpu are confirmed to be in stock at a more regular pace before building one?

Or should I start building with the x570 now? My  concern about this one is now that am4 is coming to end of cycle, I'm assuming am5 will probably be out next year. and I also hear that DDR5 has already starting production.

Since I havent gotten to the main components for the PC Build yet, should I just wait? Since it seems like I can get everything except the gpu

If anyone also has any recommendations about the psu, that would be helpful as well. I've considered a Silverstone 1000 watt sfx psu, but havent really heard much of good things about it. I did find a couple negative reviews about it on amazon, and while there isnt much of anythign else except the 850 watt cooler master, cooler master is not my first choice of psu supplier. whereas corsair only has the 750 watt psu, and seasonic doesnt seem to make a lot of sfx psu either. I heard that Lian Li, was going to release a psu a while back, but havent heard a lot of news about that lately.

Current Parts list

Edit Note - I will be putting at least 2 nvme drives into this, or more if more slots are provided. I will also be doing a full custom loop

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor $890.53 @ Vuugo
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard $579.00 @ Amazon Canada
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $519.99 @ Memory Express
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini Snow Edition ATX Mid Tower Case $159.99 @ Memory Express
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit $264.99 @ The Source
Software Microsoft Office Home & Student 2019 - 1 Device Software Purchased For $39.38
Wired Network Adapter Asus XG-C100C PCIe x4 10 Gbit/s Network Adapter Purchased For $0.00
Case Fan Noctua A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120 mm Fan $37.90 @ Amazon Canada
Monitor Samsung Odyssey G9 49.0" 5120x1440 240 Hz Monitor Purchased For $1848.72
Keyboard ROCCAT Vulcan 122 AIMO RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard $209.99 @ Amazon Canada
Mouse Logitech G903 Wireless Optical Mouse Purchased For $0.00
Custom Logitech 943-000109 POWERPLAY WIRELESS CHARGING SYSTEM Purchased For $0.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total

$4739.99

Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-10 19:26 EDT-0400

Edited by shinegull
added notes

thats a ton of money just for fans. Try looking at a 6 pack of upHere fans. You get 6 fans for the same price as one.

3 minutes ago, brentdahamster said:

Also you took the concept of budgets and threw that out the window.

I am building this and expecting it to not only last but run well for years while playing at triple a games at a minimum of med to high, if not more. I also tend to like to save up for my bigger purchases.

i have got to be very honest, fans should be one of that last things you should think about unless you really need them, the thing you need to keep in mind is actually finding parts for a pc, and if you really need fan, just get some noctuas if you dont need rgb

Don’t take everything I say seriously 

take it with a grain of s a l t

10 minutes ago, brentdahamster said:

thats a ton of money just for fans. Try looking at a 6 pack of upHere fans. You get 6 fans for the same price as one.

the fans are just a placeholder for now, I might for the unifans or maybe a white noctua fan.

Just now, shinegull said:

I am building this and expecting it to not only last but run well for years while playing at triple a games at a minimum of med to high, if not more. I also tend to like to save up for my bigger purchases.

and you do not need a crosshair viii dark hero at all, get a msi tomahawk or aorus board, that will save you a lot of money

Just now, tire said:

i have got to be very honest, fans should be one of that last things you should think about unless you really need them, the thing you need to keep in mind is actually finding parts for a pc, and if you really need fan, just get some noctuas if you dont need rgb

at the moment, fans really among the last items I will get. I am more worried about the gpu

1 minute ago, shinegull said:

at the moment, fans really among the last items I will get. I am more worried about the gpu

exactly

17 minutes ago, tire said:

and you do not need a crosshair viii dark hero at all, get a msi tomahawk or aorus board, that will save you a lot of money

I chose the dark hero mainly for the large heatsink cover around the pcie slots

I'll consider the aorus ultra and master though