Minecraft (modded) Server hosting

Budget (including currency): €150-€200

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Hosting a Minecraft server (I'd like it to be able to handle modpacks like Feed the Beast)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): this is something I'd like to figure out to maybe get it in the near future, but I don't really have a date to need it to be done. I am kind of new in researching parts and I've hit a roadblock, what parts would I need? I don't need support for a high refreshrate or whatever, because I am only going to use it for hosting the server on and nothing else. That's why I'd like it to not be very expensive but I don't know what is needed for this build in specific. 

Thanks!

What're the system requirements for a minecraft server as well as the mod(s) you want to run?

I would like to mention that there are celerons that are better at hosting MC than i3s. That is because MC server hosting is almost entirely single threaded. So 2 cores at a higher frequency than 4 cores is actually better. Would also recommend 16GB of memory and a 128 or 250GB 2.5" SSD. Hx10 or A320 motherboards FTW. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

4 hours ago, tkitch said:

What're the system requirements for a minecraft server as well as the mod(s) you want to run?

I have added a screenshot, these are the listed minimum specs. The modpacks I'd like to use recommend 6G+ of RAM, so I'd go for 8 or 12 probably.image.thumb.png.e919d65b0ea17ddeddc1ef0f61469012.png

That's pretty easy.

You can get a used HP or Lenovo Business desktop for well under 200$ on ebay.  I5 6500 or 6600.  (6600 is a bit higher base clock, which might be worth the upgrade)

Either get it with 16GB RAM, or upgrade to.

Slap in an SSD and call it a day.

24 minutes ago, tkitch said:

That's pretty easy.

You can get a used HP or Lenovo Business desktop for well under 200$ on ebay.  I5 6500 or 6600.  (6600 is a bit higher base clock, which might be worth the upgrade)

Either get it with 16GB RAM, or upgrade to.

Slap in an SSD and call it a day.

Would an Intel Core i5-4570 do?

How many plugins are you planning on having in your minecraft server. If you have atleast 100+ then get 32gb. That way there is still some ram if you wanted to add more plugins or maybe host a fivem server.

3 minutes ago, GewoonJulius_ said:

it might?

It's older so it'll get less done per cycle, but the clock speed isn't bad at all.

Is the 4570 that much cheaper than a 6600?

7 minutes ago, GewoonJulius_ said:

I used a i5-4570 on a OptiPlex 9020 for a modded server, worked fine on TrueNAS with MineOS. You may want to consider something like a used Dell OptiPlex 7060 if you have money to spare, or an HP EliteDesk 800 G2/G3 otherwise.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

21 minutes ago, tkitch said:

it might?

It's older so it'll get less done per cycle, but the clock speed isn't bad at all.

Is the 4570 that much cheaper than a 6600?

Well no, but a friend of mine has a old workstation alike the one you recommended, which I could maybe take over cheaper. It's the HP PRODESK 400 G1 SFF workstation. I could maybe upgrade the RAM for cheaper and then just slap an SSD on it too. (Sorry that I linked a page was an accident).