Desktop Replacement Laptop

So 2021 was supposed to be the year I do a new build (on a 5 year refresh cycle) but with the state of the GPU market it doesn't really make sense to do that right now and it doesn't look like it's going to get better in 2021. Unfortunately no one has told my desktop this and it's starting to have some issues. Trying to think of a solution in case my desktop does give up the ghost before the GPU market settles down I started looking at laptops as a potential upgrade path that could last me 3-5 years with proper care and peripherals (external GPU, upgradable RAM and SSD).

I'm hoping that someone could give me some suggestions or let me know know if this is a pipe dream.

Some considerations

• Portability isn't a huge concern as it will spend 95% of it's life on my desk
  • Price is between 2500-3000 USD
  • Windows 10 Pro would come with the laptop (On top of gaming I do a lot of programming where virtualization (i.e. Docker) is a must)
  • 32 GB of RAM to support said virtualization
  • I'm wanting to target 1440p 144Hz without RT (will be purchasing 1440p 144Hz monitor(s) this year along with this purchase)
  • I don't have a preference on Intel vs AMD for CPU (my i7-6700K isn't currently a bottleneck as far as I can tell)

Just get a prebuilt. If you're mostly not going to use it as a laptop, anyways, you'll get far more bang for your buck with a prebuilt desktop. Even if you want to go mobile, you can get a Chromebook for all it matters and use something like Steam Link to play on the laptop from your desktop PC.

Also, Pro isn't necessary for Docker anymore, since it now uses WSL2. You only needed Pro because of Docker's previous dependency on Hyper-V.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Yeah what he said. I saw on a video recently that the prebuilt companies have plenty of graphics cards because they apparently order parts far in advance.

I can't remember who made that video but they were saying stuff like the prices at this time are reasonable for prebuilts.

Even if you hate prebuilt systems.

You could still just get a nice prebuilt system for way less then the budget you said just to hold you over for now.

HP, DELL or one of the gaming prebuilt companies.

Say around $1800.00 US and then do something different later when things come back to normal.