Intel i9-9900k bad performance

Kumaylz

Not really sure whats going on with my system. I recently changed my thermal paste to Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, because I wanted to remove the stock Corsair paste on my H100i platinum. My temps are fine, about 30C at idle and 70C at gaming load. I've noticed horrible cpu performance. It takes forever now to open task manager, file explorer, etc. My cinebench score is also low, at 3000; I used to get 4700 all day. While I'm gaming I notice no issues. Im stuck as to what the problem is.

Specs: 

i9 9900k

RTX 3070 FE

32GB GSkill Trident Z Royal

MSI Z390M Gaming Edge AC

750W PSU

It sounds like a bad mount, have you try undo the AIO block, pull out the CPU and put them all back on again?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

@Kumaylz For a quick comparison I set my 10850K to 8 cores and 16 threads and I ran it at a steady 4.7 GHz.

Cinebench R20 was 4978.

image.png.99c9ad67757303d27efd80134b6db8f8.png

Give ThrottleStop a try. Watch the CPU speed while running Cinebench and open the Limit Reasons window to check for any reasons for throttling. If you double click on the monitoring table, it should show all 16 threads, all running at full speed. If you turned off hyper threading in the BIOS, it might only show 8.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

When your computer is idle at the desktop, the C0% on the main screen should be at 1.0% or less. It is usually less than 0.5% if nothing is open. C0% is a good indication of stuff running in the background on your CPU. 

1 hour ago, unclewebb said:

@Kumaylz For a quick comparison I set my 10850K to 8 cores and 16 threads and I ran it at a steady 4.7 GHz.

Cinebench R20 was 4978.

image.png.99c9ad67757303d27efd80134b6db8f8.png

Give ThrottleStop a try. Watch the CPU speed while running Cinebench and open the Limit Reasons window to check for any reasons for throttling. If you double click on the monitoring table, it should show all 16 threads, all running at full speed. If you turned off hyper threading in the BIOS, it might only show 8.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

When your computer is idle at the desktop, the C0% on the main screen should be at 1.0% or less. It is usually less than 0.5% if nothing is open. C0% is a good indication of stuff running in the background on your CPU. 

Mine is is at C0%25 at idle

24 minutes ago, Kumaylz said:

Mine is is at C0%25 at idle

That means something is running on your computer and fully loading a couple of your cores. Open the Task Manager, click on the Details tab and try to find out what it is. It could be a bad driver or something like that stuck in an infinite loop or perhaps you accidentally installed some mining software that is keeping your cores busy.

Get your C0% back to a normal number and then you will have plenty of CPU cycles available to run your games and benchmarks at full speed. 

Here is an example of a a computer without a lot of crap running in the background.

C0% is minimal across all threads and cores.

5Cb9klz.png