6900XT Poor Performance

Bhameck

I recently bought a 6900XT Founder's from AMD and I've been getting weird stutters and low performance in certain titles. For example, in COD Warzone I can run at 4k 144+, but I can barely run Minecraft at 8 Chunks. I also get poor performance in Rocket League, which I run at 1440p High and I get extreme stuttering. Does anyone know how to fix my performance issues? I also turned off V-Sync and it only increases performance by 5 or 10 fps.

Specs:

6900XT

3700X

1TB SSD

16GB 3600MHZ C16

360MM CPU Cooler

850 80+ Gold PSU

Just now, DobertRownySr said:

How many sticks of ram do you have, and which slots are they in?

I have 2 sticks in A2 and B2.

5 minutes ago, Bhameck said:

I have 2 sticks in A2 and B2.

Have you turned xmp on?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Have you turned xmp on?

Yes I have.

12 minutes ago, Bhameck said:

Yes I have.

Stuttering has to do with cpu, and thus, ram.

what are cpu temps like?

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Stuttering has to do with cpu, and thus, ram.

what are cpu temps like?

My CPU has given me problems in the past, where it blue screens when I enable PBO or Auto overclocking, but when i manually set a OC, it is perfectly stable. I sit around 35 degrees when idle and 75 degrees when under load.

1 minute ago, Bhameck said:

My CPU has given me problems in the past, where it blue screens when I enable PBO or Auto overclocking, but when i manually set a OC, it is perfectly stable. I sit around 35 degrees when idle and 75 degrees when under load.

If you do a Unigen heaven and a cinebench r20 run, are the scores consistent  with what this hardware should get?

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

If you do a Unigen heaven and a cinebench r20 run, are the scores consistent  with what this hardware should get?

Yes they are consistent.

• 4 months later...

I just got a 6900 XT and have been dealing heavily with the stuttering and hitching in a lot of titles. I noticed my framerate tends to jump around by 30-40 fps depending on which direction I'm looking, etc. I discovered if I was playing a title with no frame limiter set and was above my monitors refresh rate at all time, I could enable Enhanced Sync and that would eliminate the stuttering above my monitors refresh rate. If I was in a title where the fps in game would bounce below and above my refresh rate, I set a limiter to a framerate very close to the lowest average framerate to prevent it from going above my monitors refresh rate, and at the same time, not bounce around a lot. It appeared to me that this card doesn't handle erratic framerate changes well.

-Also to note, I have a 155hz freesync monitor and always have freesync enabled in software and on the monitor itself. I used DDU to uninstall all previous drivers. Am running the latest Adrenalin software (not beta). Have updated to the most recent BIOS version for my mobo. Made sure to have the most up to date chipset drivers installed. Tried enabling resizable BAR in BIOS on the off chance that might make some sort of difference, which it didn't.

It's a shame that this GPU behaves this way at the ridiculous price I paid and considering it's THE flagship GPU for AMD at this time.

I hope that someone with similar issues comes across this as I could not find a forum/thread with any leads to the problem or any way of mending the issue as this has been the only fix for the issue, albeit not the ideal scenario.

I have the Aorus 6900XT paired with a 5950X and 64Gb of Ram. Stuttering with Warzone constantly running on a 1440p at 165hz. The last driver seemed to help a little but I think the game does just not play nice with 6000 series cards. Friend who has a 6700XT has the same issue. Tried Battlefield V as a comparison and it ran great. Have not noticed problems in other titles although I will say that it is hit and miss with MSFS as the utilization of the card can go from 600Mhz and 15 frames then jump to 2400 Mhz and 80 frames after 10 mins of play.  You would like to think that AMD would be working diligently to rid themselves of the great hardware poor driver reputation they have but alias not yet.   

That really sucks.... these cards should be so much better. The packaging from AMD that the card came in had "We're the gaming hardware company, we're gamers too, we take special care in making sure you're getting the best gaming hardware possible" and all that BS. I'm not really feeling that's the truth at this point lol. I don't remember having this much trouble with my R9 390 back in the day.

Is your framerate in Warzone erratic like it is for me? If it is, you should try limiting the framerate to the highest constant frames you can get, that's the only thing that keeps the stutters away for me.

If this is how it's going to be to own an AMD gpu, I'm probably just going to sell it to go towards a 3080 like I was planning to do in the first place lol. This really sucks big ones....

Huuuuuuuuuge update.... I know what was causing the stuttering. I decided to try disabling freesync on my monitor and in Radeon driver software and voila! no more stutters! I've gone through all my usual games and can confirm all stutters are officially gone. Weird thing is, with freesync completely off, I don't get any screen tearing at all. It feels exactly how it was intended now. All the high frames and buttery smooth. I would say it's a shame that I can't have freesync enabled, but it really doesn't feel like it's necessary. So no screen tearing and no stuttering. It feels amazing. Guess I won't be selling this card lol