Simple question about AP mode in router.

Takt1kal

I'm planning to buy a router with AP mode (to use it as a second router, as the current one is given for free by the isp and it's range is terrible).
My question is, if I connect the AP router's WAN port to the main router's (given by isp for free) LAN port, and put the AP router on AP mode, then would I have to configure the routers, or will it auto-configure and how would I change the SSID and password of the AP router. I would like to know about the configuration process.
Thanks.

1 hour ago, knockless said:

I'm planning to buy a router with AP mode (to use it as a second router, as the current one is given for free by the isp and it's range is terrible).
My question is, if I connect the AP router's WAN port to the main router's (given by isp for free) LAN port, and put the AP router on AP mode, then would I have to configure the routers, or will it auto-configure and how would I change the SSID and password of the AP router. I would like to know about the configuration process.
Thanks.

It depends on how that specific router implements AP mode.

For example the Honor Router 3 you can only access the UI when connected to it over WiFi using the IP address it was given by your main router.  Its kinda annoying actually as I'd normally do all configuration from a machine on the wired LAN.

Then again, it was positively dirt cheap for a WiFi 6 AP and performs great.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7