Stock Market and Robinhood - please, explain

Go to solution Solved by zeusthemoose,
On 5/6/2021 at 2:59 PM, DmMoscow said:

Arent there any direct ways for an average person to buy stocks in NA? I, for examople can buy stocks even from my phone without any middle man.

Some companies offer DsPPs (direct stock purchase plans) that allow you to purchase stock directly from them. These companies have varying requirements/processes to buy from them. Alternatively you can use an online broker like e-trade which allows you to pick and choose securities to buy with low-no fees. These online brokers are much more popular and common than buying directly from the company.

Hi!

I had discussed an article with a friend recently, about how does "RobinHood" makes money. Not returning to those exact problems, we couldnt rsolve a more general question: why do you need robinhood (or any other similar products) at all?

I'm not talking about going in person to a nasdaq, but isnt it just another middle man between you and a thing you want to buy/sell?

Arent there more streamline ways for an average person to buy stocks in NA (both, Canada and USA)?

To be clear: this is not a question, how do stocks (and other equities) work, as I had lessons on it in uni and i have some personla experience by now. But it seems that ways of accessing stock market differ between countries.

P.S. I rewatched TechLinked on "Robinhood" topic and didnt find an answer.

P.P.S. Thanks in advance for your answers.

On Robinhood you dont own your stocks or crypto - you own shares in the crypto and stocks they purchase (basically)

Plus this exact answer is on their website.

image.png.a181042f055df981eb14fe7864c75422.png

EDIT - I didnt answer your why as to why a person like myself would use it - access to Doge only is why I use robinhood.  If I am going to do any F@H (you can fold for their team and earn doge btw) its for LTT, so I buy it instead.  (plus all my GPU's are currently NiceHashing for BTC)

Stock Market?  No thanks, crypto is for me because its the Everyman Currency

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

14 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

On Robinhood you dont own your stocks or crypto - you own shares in the crypto and stocks they purchase (basically)

I get that now GameStop sells for about 150-160$ (with peaks around 350), and you may want to invest just 10$. But at the start it was only 30-40$. Was it only convenient as people did want to invest only a couple of bucks? (any other example, like tesla that goes about 650$ e piece, falls in the same category, broadly speaking)

Otherwise I still dont get it. Arent there any direct ways for an average person to buy stocks in NA? I, for examople can buy stocks even from my phone without any middle man.

24 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

EDIT - I didnt answer your why as to why a person like myself would use it - access to Doge only is why I use robinhood.  If I am going to do any F@H (you can fold for their team and earn doge btw) its for LTT, so I buy it instead.  (plus all my GPU's are currently NiceHashing for BTC)

Thanks for your update, btw. I tried Nicehash myself, but I got only about 3-4$ after a week of mining (not 24/7) and thought it wasnt worth it for me.

On 5/6/2021 at 2:59 PM, DmMoscow said:

Arent there any direct ways for an average person to buy stocks in NA? I, for examople can buy stocks even from my phone without any middle man.

Some companies offer DsPPs (direct stock purchase plans) that allow you to purchase stock directly from them. These companies have varying requirements/processes to buy from them. Alternatively you can use an online broker like e-trade which allows you to pick and choose securities to buy with low-no fees. These online brokers are much more popular and common than buying directly from the company.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

19 hours ago, zeusthemoose said:

This explains quite a lot (not everything, but a lot). Thanks. At least, now Robinhood seems to me as a sort of a regular broker and not some other form of comany. The only thig that still surprises me is that USA brokers are different from banks. At least, "The Big Four.

Comapring to Russia, our most popular brokers are part of banks and their comission is regulated by the federal law. This way it is very conveniet, as I can in a second transfer money between my regular debit account (not sure for the actual term, but the one, assosiated with my debit card) and my brokerage account in the same bank or the other way around. At the same time they act as a tax agents and they automatically apply taxes to your account at the end of the year, so that i dont have to declare it myself.

Overall, lack of that convenience when comparing to first transfering money from bank to Robinhood (or any other company) and then waiting for you application to be accepted, seemed strange to me. And that was a cause of a question.

Thanks for your answer!

On 5/6/2021 at 9:18 PM, DmMoscow said:

Thanks for your update, btw. I tried Nicehash myself, but I got only about 3-4$ after a week of mining (not 24/7) and thought it wasnt worth it for me.

nicehash sucks, it pays like shit

as long you do use pools, mining is not difficult

just pick a miner like trex or phoenix, select a decent pool and start to mine

7 minutes ago, 12345678 said:

nicehash sucks, it pays like shit

as long you do use pools, mining is not difficult

just pick a miner like trex or phoenix, select a decent pool and start to mine

Thanks, I'll try one of those and see if there's a big enough difference to me to justifiy it.

As I only used my PC for F@H previosly, this was ony my second experience of joining some "pool"-type tasks overall and first in mining.