Gtx 1080 randomly turning off

Greetings people!

Alright let me get straight to the point. So I bought a gtx 1080 off of ebay in hopes of fixing it. Its a 1080 strix which randomly turns off well not completely off its fans start spinning at full speed and the display turns black. Something else it does is that when I turn it on sometimes it kinda freezes up or smth like that idk its really weird. When it freezes the rgb on it starts to flicker and a very loud high pitch noise appears like a coil wine but really loud. Idk why it does that. 

What I have tried so far:

-Tested a different 850w psu = same      problems

-Tested a different mobo = same problems

-Tested a different gpu = same problems

-Cleaned the card and reapplied thermal paste = same problems

-Reinstalled the drivers and windows = same problems

I did also run Furmark for a bit and did the windows install with that gpu in it no problems. It just seems very random when it happens.

I ran out of ideas by now thats why Im hoping to find some help here. It would be awesome to get that card running properly again especially how cheap it was and during this time.

My specs are:

I7 9700

16gb 3600mhz 

500w sfx-l psu

Aorus z390 I pro wifi

crucial 500gb nvme m.2

when you say "the GPU turns off", does the whole PC turn shut down?

Try older drivers

Check for cold solder joints

Busted capacitors

5 minutes ago, Tom_nerd said:

when you say "the GPU turns off", does the whole PC turn shut down?

The computer itself doesnt turn off because both the rams and motherboards rgb is still glowing as usual and the Aio is running fine. Its just the gpus fans going at full speed and the display suddenly goes black. I can still turn it off normally by pressing the power button once.

4 minutes ago, Doug_Dangger said:

Try older drivers

Check for cold solder joints

Busted capacitors

I already did check the capacitors but all of them seem fine. Im gonna take a look at it again and take a closer look at the solder joints.

About the drivers, which ones would u suggest? I have the newest once installed rn.

11 minutes ago, ThisNameIsAlreadyInUse said:

I already did check the capacitors but all of them seem fine. Im gonna take a look at it again and take a closer look at the solder joints.

About the drivers, which ones would u suggest? I have the newest once installed rn.

Work your way back about every 3 - 4 months until you find a stable one.

Just now, Doug_Dangger said:

Work your way back about every 3 - 4 months until you find a stable one.

Alright will do that.

Quick question does that indicate smth more serious like the gpu about to fail or so? 

4 minutes ago, ThisNameIsAlreadyInUse said:

Alright will do that.

Quick question does that indicate smth more serious like the gpu about to fail or so? 

Not necessarily.  If the gpu works fine with a certain driver then it's not really defective.  Nvidia and AMD likely won't GAF anymore about older devices with their current drivers.  Their way of getting you to buy a newer product.

Well yeah I heard about that method they use to make profit. Just weird that my 780 runs fine with the newest drivers considering its about 8 yrs old by now.

I switched to a bit older drivers. Gpu runs fine so far if it crashes imma let ya'll know.

1 minute ago, ThisNameIsAlreadyInUse said:

Well yeah I heard about that method they use to make profit. Just weird that my 780 runs fine with the newest drivers considering its about 8 yrs old by now.

I switched to a bit older drivers. Gpu runs fine so far if it crashes imma let ya'll know.

good to hear man

One thing that really concerns me is that freezing of the gpu? I dont know what exactly that is because its the first time a gpu did that. That high pitch noise and the flickering rgb lights together without a video signal kinda concerns me. 

Does somebody maybe have an idea on what that could be?

Alright update!

Card ran fine for a few days but just now made some problems again. I was playing some Mhw when suddenly the screen turned black. I heard the game continue to run in the background and heard that windows sound when you plug something in and unplug something which I assume to be the gpu. 

Edit:

I just had a look into eventmanager and around the time when it happened there is a warning about a faulty module and .exe 

Im not sure if a screenschot would help because Its all in german. But it said something about a faulty program "dwm.exe" which I suppose is desktop window manager or so and a faulty module "KERNELBASE.dll" which Idk what that is.

I just thought that it might help.

• 2 years later...

Did you ever find a solution? I'm having the same issue but the severity seems to differ. If I manage to get onto the desktop, I'll try to revert to older drivers. Anything helps at this point.