Problems with Crosshair V Motherboard [SOLVED; CAUSE WAS CORRUPTED CMOS]

Go to solution Solved by Beerzerker,
59 minutes ago, redcysteine said:

It's about 9 years old, so may have something to do with it.

It did exactly that, but changing the cables around just makes the mobo ask for a proper boot device. I assume that the drives got messed up with the CMOS resets or with whatever made the mobo misbehave in the first place. Would formatting the drives help?

EDIT: I forgot to mention, this started happening after I disconnected the DVD drive (yes really) from the motherboard.

I can all but promise you it did, it's possible the BIOS has become mildly corrupted and is in need of flashing to fix.
If the battery falls below 2.9v's the battery will need replacement and, being it's 9 years old I've no doubt it's past due to be replaced.

You'll have to change the battery first and then attempt a BIOS flash.

BTW you can force a default boot by simply pressing and holding the powerbutton and repeat this for about three times. After that let it try to boot and you should get the "Overclocking failed" error message - You'll have to hit F1 to go in the BIOS.
Change things to all defaults, hit F10 to save and reboot again.

See if that helps.

Hey all. Yesterday I had a bit of a problem with my computer. It started freezing when I watched some rather long videos, so I assumed it was dirty. After cleaning it, the BIOS started complaining about a CPU fan error, which I assumed was due to me plugging the CPU fan into the wrong pins. They effectively were, but after plugging the CPU into the correct pìns, it kept complaining about the CPU fan. I chose to reset the BIOS (by using the CLR BIOS button) in case it was simply some weird error. That's where my current problem began. For some reason, now the BIOS doesn't trust the UEFI drives, and after a reboot my PC won't boot further than the MOBO splash screen. I can't even select the drive to which boot into. I figured that updating the firmware was my final option, so I did that. Didn't work; the first time around, it just froze and didn't do anything for around 15 min. I did a hard reset by pulling out the BIOS battery and tried again. This time it worked, but it didn't matter, it still froze when I'm supposed to get the OS selection screen (I have Manjaro and Windows installed in different drives).

The farthest I've gotten is resetting the BIOS by removing the battery for 30 seconds and then using the recommended BIOS settings, which dumps me into the "untrusted UEFI devices" error. Supposedly I can try the next trustworthy drive by pressing N, but then I get a waiting prompt that doesn't go anywhere.

So what can I do? Am I screwed? Is there any way to fix this?

EDIT: Marked as solved, added reason to title.

Edited by redcysteine

8 minutes ago, redcysteine said:

Hey all. Yesterday I had a bit of a problem with my computer. It started freezing when I watched some rather long videos, so I assumed it was dirty. After cleaning it, the BIOS started complaining about a CPU fan error, which I assumed was due to me plugging the CPU fan into the wrong pins. They effectively were, but after plugging the CPU into the correct pìns, it kept complaining about the CPU fan. I chose to reset the BIOS (by using the CLR BIOS butting) in case it was simply some weird error. That's where my current problem began. For some reason, now the BIOS doesn't trust the UEFI drives, and after a reboot my PC won't boot further than the MOBO splash screen. I can't even select the drive to which boot into. I figured that updating the firmware was my final option, so I did that. Didn't work; the first time around, it just froze and didn't do anything for around 15 min. I did a hard reset by pulling out the BIOS battery and tried again. This time it worked, but it didn't matter, it still froze when I'm supposed to get the OS selection screen (I have Manjaro and Windows installed in different drives).

The farthest I've gotten is resetting the BIOS by removing the battery for 30 seconds and then using the recommended BIOS settings, which dumps me into the "untrusted UEFI devices" error. Supposedly I can try the next trustworthy drive by pressing N, but then I get a waiting prompt that doesn't go anywhere.

So what can I do? Am I screwed? Is there any way to fix this?

First thing, how old is the CMOS battery?
Weak batteries can make weird shit happen. I'll also say it starting to look like a SB problem since UEFI is involved.
Doesn't mean the board is toast yet, I'd actually disconnect all drives and see how it behaves with no drives plugged in, you should get an error involving compatability with the option to hit F1 for going into the BIOS to correct the problem. If you see that happen then it's probrably a drive or bad cable.

Try all that first.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

On 5/5/2021 at 9:39 PM, Beerzerker said:

First thing, how old is the CMOS battery?

On 5/5/2021 at 9:39 PM, Beerzerker said:

Doesn't mean the board is toast yet, I'd actually disconnect all drives and see how it behaves with no drives plugged in, you should get an error involving compatability with the option to hit F1 for going into the BIOS to correct the problem. If you see that happen then it's probrably a drive or bad cable.

It did exactly that, but changing the cables around just makes the mobo ask for a proper boot device. I assume that the drives got messed up with the CMOS resets or with whatever made the mobo misbehave in the first place. Would formatting the drives help?

EDIT: I forgot to mention, this started happening after I disconnected the DVD drive (yes really) from the motherboard.

Edited by redcysteine

59 minutes ago, redcysteine said:

I can all but promise you it did, it's possible the BIOS has become mildly corrupted and is in need of flashing to fix.
If the battery falls below 2.9v's the battery will need replacement and, being it's 9 years old I've no doubt it's past due to be replaced.

BTW you can force a default boot by simply pressing and holding the powerbutton and repeat this for about three times. After that let it try to boot and you should get the "Overclocking failed" error message - You'll have to hit F1 to go in the BIOS.

See if that helps.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

On 5/7/2021 at 8:36 PM, Beerzerker said:

See if that helps.

That was it! I changed the battery for a brand new one and flashed the BIOS using the ROG connect button with a USB stick plugged into the BIOS USB port (white one under the ROG connect button). Man, am I glad it worked. It booted normally, as if nothing happened, which pretty much confirms what you said; it was a corrupted CMOS stemming from a dying Motherboard battery. Sadly, my Linux partition seems to have died, though, but I can fix that rather easy.

In case someone else has the same problem, here's what I did:

1.- Change the CMOS battery. Open up your PC and find a small disk between your PCI ports. Remove it and change it. 

The specific type of battery is a lithium CR2032 battery. You can buy these in electronic stores or watch vendors. I bought mine for around 7US$.

2.- Go to the ASUS website and download the latest BIOS drivers. Alternatively, just search for "crosshair V formula-Z motherboard drivers".

3.- Unzip the drivers and rename the file inside it to C5FZ.CAP and copy it to an USB stick, making sure this file is at the root directory of your USB stick. Also make sure it's formatted in FAT (I made sure and flashed an USB I had lying around).

4.- Connect the USB to the white port under the ROG Connect button (it has a symbol of chain, the port itself is painted white). This has to be done while your computer is powered off, but it still has to be supplied with electricity (power cable connected and power source switch flipped to ON).

5.- Press and hold the ROG Connect until it starts blinking, which means it's flashing the BIOS and replacing its drivers with the drivers you downloaded earlier. It will stop blinking when it's done.

6.- Turn on your PC, hopefully it's back to normal.

I'm glad to hear you got it fixed and wasn't a really big deal to get it done. 😎