What Graphics Card Should I Get?

I have been looking to buy a new graphics card. I wanted a 7970 but i do not know if i should get it because I'm gaming on a 1080P monitor and i heard that the 7950 is more than enough for 1080P. I also watched a video(i forgot where) that said that an nvidia card at 60 fps looks smoother then an Amd card 60 fps. I do not know if this is true but if anyone can verify that it is, then i will be getting a GTX 670. My last question is what brand should i get, MSI, HIS, ASUS, or Sapphire? I want a card with an unlocked multiplier and voltage.

Depends on what kind of gaming you would be doing, if you are a competitive FPS gamer and have atleast a 120hz monitor you probably want to go with  a nvidia gtx680 or a 670 cause it has this lightboost technology which reduces motion blur in FPS games.

If you are more of a single player games guy.. depending on what games you play watch some benchmarks and compare the cards for instance.. AMD cards perform better with Battlefield 3 wheres Nvidia cards might perform better with Batman: Arkham City cause of Physx.

Theres no difference, somebody suffered a bad driver issue or maybe a heating issue and made a rage video, ignore that. AMD drivers if not better are atleast at par with Nvidia for now.

Also if your on a budget and trying to make a choice between the 7950 and the 670.. 7950 eyes closed, its cheaper and performs at par with the 670 with the latest drivers in most of the games.

Depends on what kind of gaming you would be doing, if you are a competitive FPS gamer and have atleast a 120hz monitor you probably want to go with  a nvidia gtx680 or a 670 cause it has this lightboost technology which reduces motion blur in FPS games.

If you are more of a single player games guy.. depending on what games you play watch some benchmarks and compare the cards for instance.. AMD cards perform better with Battlefield 3 wheres Nvidia cards might perform better with Batman: Arkham City cause of Physx.

Theres no difference, somebody suffered a bad driver issue or maybe a heating issue and made a rage video, ignore that. AMD drivers if not better are atleast at par with Nvidia for now.

Also if your on a budget and trying to make a choice between the 7950 and the 670.. 7950 eyes closed, its cheaper and performs at par with the 670 with the latest drivers in most of the games.

Any recommendations for what brand to get?  Also I never cared for Physx and I'm wondering if It is one of those things where once you have it, you can not go without it?

PS: Thanks for your insight. I play every type of game, except for MOBAS, which is ironic because i have a Razer Naga Hex lol. 

Edited by bacosta1993

yes currently Nvidia cards look smoother at equal frame rates because they have better frame times.

though this pertains mostly to crossfire and SLI,on single graphics card solutions they're closely matched in frame times.

I'd say if you can afford a 7970,go for a 7970.

if you can't go for a 7950,it's still one hell of a card.

as to the brands I'd personally go for the cheapest non-reference card that has good reviews.

great deal 7950 with great reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202007

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008

both of the above are sapphire,just coincidence because they had high ratings without insane prices.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

yes currently Nvidia cards look smoother at equal frame rates because they have better frame times.

though this pertains mostly to crossfire and SLI,on single graphics card solutions they're closely matched in frame times.

I'd say if you can afford a 7970,go for a 7970.

if you can't go for a 7950,it's still one hell of a card.

as to the brands I'd personally go for the cheapest non-reference card that has good reviews.

great deal 7950 with great reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202007

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008

both of the above are sapphire,just coincidence because they had high ratings without insane prices.

I have a $500 budget and do you know if these cards have an unlocked multiplier and voltage? 

Agreed, the above cards are totally fine.. dont go for the overly expensive versions.

They are unlocked, but i wouldnt recommend overclocking them.. only gets you like a few more extra frames, pretty much useless if you have a 60hz monitor or something like that.

Agreed, the above cards are totally fine.. dont go for the overly expensive versions.

They are unlocked, but i wouldnt recommend overclocking them.. only gets you like a few more extra frames, pretty much useless if you have a 60hz monitor or something like that.

I'll go with the Sapphire 7970 then. I have a 75hz monitor and I personally do not feel a need to upgrade it just yet. I'm waiting until 1440P monitors become cheaper.

I'll go with the Sapphire 7970 then. I have a 75hz monitor and I personally do not feel a need to upgrade it just yet. I'm waiting until 1440P monitors become cheaper.

monoprice has some pretty affordable IPS 1440p/1600p monitors,may want to take a look.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

It all depends on the overclock itself and the game that is getting used to see the FPS difference.

I have been looking to buy a new graphics card. I wanted a 7970 but i do not know if i should get it because I'm gaming on a 1080P monitor and i heard that the 7950 is more than enough for 1080P. I also watched a video(i forgot where) that said that an nvidia card at 60 fps looks smoother then an Amd card 60 fps. I do not know if this is true but if anyone can verify that it is, then i will be getting a GTX 670. My last question is what brand should i get, MSI, HIS, ASUS, or Sapphire? I want a card with an unlocked multiplier and voltage.

yes the 7950 is enough for 1080p gaming

7970 is good if you want to be able to just give yourself some extra power. (i'm personally getting a 7970)