First build after 9 years, need you guys' 2 cents :)

Budget (including currency):聽1700-2000聽Euro (But lower is always better 馃槈聽)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:聽This will be a workstation and Gaming PC. I聽almost got my BSc in software engineering so I don't really know where my career path will take me but I'd like to be prepared. I like AI but that is more GPU driven. I also develop games with a bunch of like minded friends聽and I've noticed compiling takes ages on my i7 3770K, so a beast CPU would be nice, but I don't know if this is something I'll pursue longterm but I surely wanna continue!聽I make some youtube vids so encoding speed is always a plus. And I have a lot of shit open always. When I work i have 2 IDE's open + running servers if necessary to test functionality +聽50+ chrome tabs and a lot more stuff like Discord, steam and some more misselanious stuff.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):聽

This is my parts list (Keep in mind I don't need a PSU, I already got a solid corsair 650 watt gold rated PSU, I also don't need storage and a GPU. Already got this stuff)

CPU: 5950X/5900 (5900 is not at MSRP so I'm just thinking about the 5950X (which is back at MSRP at some shops here) since I don't upgrade often just like the title would suggest x) ) Price 816 Euro (5950X)/647 Euro (5900X)

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX X570-E gaming 279,99 Euro

Case: Corsair 4000X Airflow (I might choose a different one if i can find a prettier one, but this is a solid case and i'll get this one if i don't find anything else.) Price: 129.99 Euro

AIO Cooler: NZXT Kraken z73 360mill Radiator Price: 239.99 Euro

RAM:聽G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C18D-32GTZN (32Gigs) Price: 199 Euro

Current total = 1662 Euro

Exisiting parts:
GPU: MSI 2070, basic cheapest card at the time, still does the job.

Storage: 2TB seagate barracuda drive, Samsung EVO 850 500Gig. (want to add M.2 NVMe later for sure.)

PSU: Corsair RM650X (very solid for this build I think)

The rest like Mobo and CPU are so old that anything would be a good upgrade.

The 5950X might seem way to much, but I'm planning to go the distance with this PC, Last time I built a PC was when I ordered this guy back in 2012. I only intend to upgrade storage over the years and the GPU (Currently a 2070).

I also just want to treat myself a bit because I've been using this System (i7 3770K, 16Gigs of Ram and originally a GTX670) for almost 10 years now.聽

My resolution is 1440P 144hz, I know I'm not hitting this combo but thats fine for now. I don't need anything else except the parts I posted. I got 2 monitors (I game on my 1440P 144hz monitor). I don't need peripherals, i already got everythiing I need, I just need these parts specifically.

I choose the AIO because I saw a lot of great reviews and the cooling performance is great, bit on the pricy side but since the 5950 kicks out a lot of heat I'd like to have something that can really cool this thing. I'm not comfortable going with a custom loop at all otherwise I'd have done that. If anyone has some solid counter pertaining the AIO I'd be very interested.聽

Can't wait to hear your guys' thoughts聽馃檪

need you guys' 2 cents

image.png.4dac30b68c321664856b60c0aabd1b33.png

overall looks pretty solid plan

though given the amount of money you're spending, maybe splurging on slightly faster RAM (3600 CL16 or 3200 CL14, or even lower CL) might get you the most out of the rig

im thinking more on 3200 CL14, because you may want to go to 64GB with 2 more dimms and it may not run at 3600 (even 2x16 at 3600 is not guaranteed as well)

as for 5950x or 5900x, honestly, not much things scales across 12 cores yet, so 5900x makes more sense

but if you're looking at productive tasks and you're using it for a loooong time, 5950x is probably worth it

RM650x is good, dont worry about it

also, considered going air cooling? it's more reliable for the long term

performance is slightly under AIO, but it's still cooling the chips decently well

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

11 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

overall looks pretty solid plan

though given the amount of money you're spending, maybe splurging on slightly faster RAM (3600 CL16 or 3200 CL14, or even lower CL) might get you the most out of the rig

Ah okay, The difference between 3600 CL 18 and 3600 CL 16 is that much? Or even lower?

Yeah, I still hope the prices go down somewhat soon, there is no shortage anymore where I live, its just the shops keeping the prices high af sadly 馃槥聽(CPU only ofc)

Also, when I eventually upgrade my GPU in a few years I do assume I'll have to buy a beefier PSU right? like the 3080 alone already cosumes like 2x more watt than my 2070

lastly, reason I want AIO is because of the sound, I heard this thing is rated for 7 years. if it dies after 5 or so I don't mind just buying a new one. Also air runs hotter right? I've seen a lot of benchmarks and it does run hotter, but only slightly. I'm also doing it for the looks ofc. When I spent this much I do want it to look good.

13 minutes ago, Rajivrocks said:

Ah okay, The difference between 3600 CL 18 and 3600 CL 16 is that much? Or even lower?

It's slightly better for games, though whether it's noticeable is up for debate

But since you're spending so much already, that extra bit might be worth it if it boosts your CPU performance by 3% while only costing 1% more overall, for example

14 minutes ago, Rajivrocks said:

Also, when I eventually upgrade my GPU in a few years I do assume I'll have to buy a beefier PSU right? like the 3080 alone already cosumes like 2x more watt than my 2070

You can try running it on your RM650x, and change it if it's inadequate

I undervolt my 3080 so they're not power hogging beasts

I even ran a 3090 on a CX550M for a short period of time (few hours) without issue

16 minutes ago, Rajivrocks said:

lastly, reason I want AIO is because of the sound, I heard this thing is rated for 7 years. if it dies after 5 or so I don't mind just buying a new one. Also air runs hotter right? I've seen a lot of benchmarks and it does run hotter, but only slightly. I'm also doing it for the looks ofc. When I spent this much I do want it to look good.

Air coolers can be quiet too

But sure, if you don't mind changing it few years down the line then AIO is good too

There are temp difference but in the end if the CPU isn't throttling or above desired temperature, all coolers are the same imo

I also undervolted my 3900x so it runs cool on air cooler

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

6 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

It's slightly better for games, though whether it's noticeable is up for debate

But since you're spending so much already, that extra bit might be worth it if it boosts your CPU performance by 3% while only costing 1% more overall, for example

You can try running it on your RM650x, and change it if it's inadequate

I undervolt my 3080 so they're not power hogging beasts

I even ran a 3090 on a CX550M for a short period of time (few hours) without issue

Air coolers can be quiet too

But sure, if you don't mind changing it few years down the line then AIO is good too

There are temp difference but in the end if the CPU isn't throttling or above desired temperature, all coolers are the same imo

I also undervolted my 3900x so it runs cool on air cooler

Thanks a bunch man, yeah, I'm spending a lot I realize, but I'm not planning to upgrade in 4 years, I hope this one will last another 9. Sadly I think the upgrade path is at its end for AM4 though, so thats why I'm going all out. This way聽I leave myself open for another 32 gigs of RAM as well in the future. So except for the CPU i can tinker on this for a while for sure.