Infinite rollback with KB5001330 update

00Jetz

Hey there! I've just registered to the LTT forum but I'm an old time fan already. But I've had this situation at work that, none of the normal solutions having been cutting it so I thought I might try it here and maybe on the Microsoft Community afterwards.

Regardless, here's the issue: We have some PCs that were updated to Windows 10 from 7. Being 32 bits shouldn't be an issue in my mind but in this last update, KB5001330, otherwise known as the "2021-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x86-based Systems", doesn't install AT ALL. Everytime it downloads from the update, installs it and asks for a reboot to finish installation, it will get stuck on the Blue Windows Logo, not giving the little "loading" animation right below it. Force restart the system three times, Windows tries to repair it and rollsback the update saying an error occurred trying to install the update. The error code in question is 0x800f0845. This error ONLY occurs on these 32 bit systems. The other machines updated normally.

Some of the things we tried:
 - Safe mode update.
 - Downloading the Microsoft Assistant to download the update (Says the OS is already updated and doesn't do anything).
 - Downloading and manually installing the referred update from the Microsoft Update Catalog as a .msu.

I would like to avoid formatting, since there's a lot of computers with the same issue. Any help would be appreciated!

1 minute ago, 00Jetz said:

Being 32 bits shouldn't be an issue in my mind

why are you using the 32 bit version of windows

Just now, emosun said:

why are you using the 32 bit version of windows

CD-Key stuff and whatnot. Buying 64-bit keys are a bit of a hassle over here and, although in the works, it's not possible at the moment.

then run 64 bit windows unregistered. theres no reason to run a 32bit os anymore unless the platform is over 15 years old.