Space on NVME for OS

TSM08

I am going to have a nvme in my build with OS, but how many GBs do i need. Is 250GB enough or 500GB?

At least 256GB, 512GB is my preferred option for OS SSDs. You can get away with 256GB if you don't plan to store a lot on there aside from the OS.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

1 minute ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

At least 256GB, 512GB is my preferred option for OS SSDs. You can get away with 256GB if you don't plan to store a lot on there aside from the OS.

Why do you need so much space on your system drive?

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

If it's strictly for your OS only, you can get away with a 128GB drive. But if you want to install a few more apps on there you should go for a 250 or 500GB drive.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

5 minutes ago, ObsidianAura said:

Why do you need so much space on your system drive?

Peace of mind; plus when talking about the OS drive, other things always get installed on there, especially if it's the only SSD in the system. Games and mass storage are typically the only things that most people offload to their additional drives, but things like browsers, music players and office suites generally stay on the OS drive.

But yes, you can get away with 128GB, if you know you won't be wanting much else on there, but I think even 256GB is cutting it a bit fine.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

I've used a 128 GB SSD as a system drive and it will do it's job however it will not leave room for much other things. A problem that I had was that GTA V had to be installed on the same drive as the user documents folder and that the Rockstar Social Club thing had to be installed at C:\ and had to also be on the same as the game. I worked around this with symlink to Social Club. 

Another trick is to disable hibernation which should save you some space. 256 GB or higher is recommended however.

EDIT: A larger drive will last longer also so theres that as well.

7 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

Peace of mind; plus when talking about the OS drive, other things always get installed on there, especially if it's the only SSD in the system. Games and mass storage are typically the only things that most people offload to their additional drives, but things like browsers, music players and office suites generally stay on the OS drive.

But yes, you can get away with 128GB, if you know you won't be wanting much else on there, but I think even 256GB is cutting it a bit fine.

For me the system drive is just for the system, everything else can be redirected elsewhere, comes to about 70GB, but I tend to just partition a larger drive so can always make it bigger if I need to.

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.