my pc wont let me format my m.2 drive

hello,

im trying to format my new m.2 drive, i already have a 1tb m.2 installed and fully working. 

i can get it to pick up and register but i can not for the life of me format it. iv tried doing it trough command prompt and drivemg and both wont work. 

i get one of 2 errors, one saying windows carnt do it and the other one is attached in the photo below. 

heres my specs: 

ryzen 9 3800x

asus rog strix b550-e mobo

asus gforce gtx 1650 duel 4gb gpu

32gb ram.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thankyou.

download.png

8 minutes ago, leviisariceball said:

hello,

im trying to format my new m.2 drive, i already have a 1tb m.2 installed and fully working. 

i can get it to pick up and register but i can not for the life of me format it. iv tried doing it trough command prompt and drivemg and both wont work. 

i get one of 2 errors, one saying windows carnt do it and the other one is attached in the photo below. 

heres my specs: 

ryzen 9 3800x

asus rog strix b550-e mobo

asus gforce gtx 1650 duel 4gb gpu

32gb ram.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thankyou.

If this SSD you are trying to format is not the primary drive then you should be able to format it. If you can't you can attempt to just delete the entire volume instead of just formatting? Just make sure you select the correct drive, right click on it chose the delete volume option. After that it will show up as unallocated disk space and you will need to create a new simple volume, once again by right clicking on the drive in question and choosing the appropriate option. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

6 minutes ago, Analog said:

If this SSD you are trying to format is not the primary drive then you should be able to format it. If you can't you can attempt to just delete the entire volume instead of just formatting? Just make sure you select the correct drive, right click on it chose the delete volume option. After that it will show up as unallocated disk space and you will need to create a new simple volume, once again by right clicking on the drive in question and choosing the appropriate option. 

unfortunately this isnt working, iv tried again and again and keep getting the same thing over and over. iv tried seeing if its something to do with bios but i dont think it is. unless im missing a driver somewhere for it. 

12 hours ago, leviisariceball said:

unfortunately this isnt working, iv tried again and again and keep getting the same thing over and over. iv tried seeing if its something to do with bios but i dont think it is. unless im missing a driver somewhere for it. 

Not seeing the drive in the BIOS is never a good thing and suggests a hardware issue. 

You said the drive is visible in Windows, but have you actually tried to copy any information to it. Can it actually hold any data and can this data be read from the drive correctly? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

3 hours ago, Analog said:

Not seeing the drive in the BIOS is never a good thing and suggests a hardware issue. 

You said the drive is visible in Windows, but have you actually tried to copy any information to it. Can it actually hold any data and can this data be read from the drive correctly? 

i havnt tried putting anything on it as it keeps telling me to format it first. wich is super annoying. it pick it up fine but just doesnt let me format.

16 hours ago, leviisariceball said:

This sounds very much like the drive has failed. I would suggest making a bootable Ubuntu Linux USB -stick (download Ubunut ISO, use Rufus to write it to a USB - stick and make it bootable) and seeing if the drive can be formatted there with e.g. GParted. If it can't, the drive is certainly a goner.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

8 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

This sounds very much like the drive has failed. I would suggest making a bootable Ubuntu Linux USB -stick (download Ubunut ISO, use Rufus to write it to a USB - stick and make it bootable) and seeing if the drive can be formatted there with e.g. GParted. If it can't, the drive is certainly a goner.

i can certainly try that. thankyou i hope its not a gonner its literally a brand new m.2 drive XD

7 hours ago, leviisariceball said:

i can certainly try that. thankyou i hope its not a gonner its literally a brand new m.2 drive XD

Well, if it is brand new you can always RMA it and get a replacement. 

update: finally got it working,i had to use minitool partition wizard.

thankyou all for the help. its appreciated alot

4 hours ago, Analog said:

Well, if it is brand new you can always RMA it and get a replacement. 

got it working, i had to use minitool partition wizard1 thankyou for your help!