3080 not showing up on a 4x full sized pcie slot.

Hill160881

I have an issue. My motherboard, gigabyte b550 vision d has a full sized 16x pcie slot for its third gpu but it only has 4x pins. My 3080 won’t initialize and show up in windows. 

I have read that nvidia disabled 4x operation but I have a 3080 running on my asrock desk mini on a m.2 riser at pcie gen 3 by 4 pcie lanes and it runs about 5-6 percent slower than a 3080 in a full 16x slot. So I know it has plenty of  bandwidth and I also know it will run on a powered m.2 riser on only 4pcie lanes. However I can’t get it to show up in the third 16x slot on my gigabyte motherboard which is tripple Quadra certified? It is a full sized 16x slot with only 4x pins. 

Any help with a workaround would be great. I am going to be really pissed if I have to switch out to a different board because nvidia won’t allow me to use my hardware the way I want. 

Thanks for any help!!!

8 minutes ago, comicsansms said:

Have you installed a PCIe SSD? That might be using the lanes allocated to that slot

I thought the m.2 position 1 had a direect connect to the cpu? I really have no idea how this vision d motherboard does all this. 

Won’t  it will just restrict it to sata speeds and not shut off the pcie  slot?

PCIe lane allocation is weird, and installing that NVMe SSD most likely disabled the x4 slot.

Also, NVMe M.2 SSDs can't run over SATA 99% of the time.

Is your OS on that NVMe SSD? If not, try removing it.

elephants

It is but I was considering installing the is on a standard sata ssd and seeing if that works. 

However, apparently nvidia no longer allows gtx/rtx cards to initialize on a 4x slot so I will need a riser card and vertical mount or a different board even though the board I have is a triple gpu board. 🔨🔨🔨

What do you consider "position 1" for the SSD? From the boards manual the one labeled M2B_SB disables the PCIe 4x slot if used.

afbeelding.png.85cf60ae97516b1dcbfe835424eb11f4.png

but also, like you said, I believe Nvidia indeed blocked 4x usage and requires 8x minimum.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

22 minutes ago, tikker said:

What do you consider "position 1" for the SSD? From the boards manual the one labeled M2B_SB disables the PCIe 4x slot if used.

afbeelding.png.85cf60ae97516b1dcbfe835424eb11f4.png

but also, like you said, I believe Nvidia indeed blocked 4x usage and requires 8x minimum.

It’s in slot m2a-cpu. 

if I could figure out what pins on the card need what power to make it think it’s plugged into an 8x slot I would do that. Otherwise it’s looking like I will need a riser card or a new board. 🤬🤬🤬 I love how this board looks. So clean and no rgb. I don’t want a riser card🔨🔨

Reinstalled the drivers and it showed up. No idea what the 🤬 but it is working👍👍