Not too happy about the Verified Actual Gamer Program

RobLatour
Go to solution Solved by tikker,

Now, this is why I tend to be sceptic when people post "solutions" to the GPU shortage, because they are solutions to get them  a GPU. Anything an entity does will "wrong" or "hurt" some other demographic that is not the intended one of that entity. First people are upset with "paper lauches", then came the hate on scalpers and miners. Now companies like LTT start something small scale (in the grand scheme of things) to get at least some cards to people that aren't miners or scalpers, and in this case are gamers, and they still get hate (not targeting you specifically, just a general statement). I'm convinced if they started a Verified Actual Creator program to get GPUs to creators we'd see some gamers posting this exact thread, just with programmer/creator replaces with gamer.

I would love a 3080 as well, but I'm not paying 2k for it. I understand the frustration, and you have every right to be frustrated, but at the end of the day it's just a GPU. We'll have to accept we probably won't get one for the price we want anytime soon.

On 5/1/2021 at 8:44 AM, TimsTips said:

They should have just made them available to Float Plane subscribers who already had accounts.

I wanted one but I work most of the day and can’t watch the videos as soon as they drop.

Also, I only play one game so would I have even been able to answer the questions?

They can't. That runs afoul of lottery/gambling laws. They can't give pay-for-play preferential treatment.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

On 5/1/2021 at 1:50 PM, RobLatour said:

Again, I am not a gamer.  Nor am I especially lucky at randomly picking right answers. I'll just have to write a bot for that I guess 🙂 

I'd consider myself a gamer and I only know like 10% of the answers. They are pretty tough. That is a good thing though right? Not many people are likely to just sail through  without googling a few things. Levels the playing field and makes it more bot proof.

Can you propose a better system?

Also, just addressing one of the initial points you made that these cards could be sold through normal routes...

This is a tiny fraction of global supply. 

Even then, if these went to normal routes at the moment they would A) be snapped up by bots, or B) Incorporated into prebuilt systems and sold as part of a bundle. 

You can still get pre-built systems with the new gen cards at the moment so, still an option. 

This thread really just makes me want LTT to do some kind of 'LTT Viewer Jeopardy' call in quiz game show, so we can see half the viewers hilariously fail.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

1 hour ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

This thread really just makes me want LTT to do some kind of 'LTT Viewer Jeopardy' call in quiz game show, so we can see half the viewers hilariously fail.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Ok so if you planned, toiled on the discords, and actually TRIED to get a card, were smart enough early enough, most likely by now you have a card, you probably had a card in january. If you dilly dallied, like MOST PEOPLE, waited for reviews to go out,  again most people, or just in general was left behind , then i mean its sad yes but also those who wait, will suffer. There are a bunch of queues you could get on. Through queues and being aware , I was able to score 2 3090s and sell one at profit (dont worry the profit was like 35 dollars, which is nothing for a 3090). 

Also if you really need a card, then sacrifice your morals. Get your hands on anything, ps5, AMD card, Nvid card whatever is in shortage. Next Sell until you can afford to pay a scalper for your desired product. If you are not willing to adjust and do whatever it takes, then in a shortage like this, you will be left out , its sad.