Device recovery after trying to overclock my cpu?

themaniac

So I have an idea 8700k with an asus maximus x code recently. So I decided I wanted to try OC'ing the cpu. I did a 46x multiplier at 1.4v and I disabled the settings that the motherboard recommended for OC'ing. And when I try to load up windows I get this screen20210429_192435.thumb.jpg.57e8b1f29717936153785d4fb23f2def.jpg

And even after reseting the bios it still does that.

How did trying to overclock my cpu break my os?

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

15 minutes ago, themaniac said:

disabled the settings that the motherboard recommended for OC'ing.

And what settings did you disable?

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

2 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Asus multicore enhancements, cpu svid support, and then I changed the cpu core/cache current limit to max.

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

What was the ram set to ?

1 minute ago, si1enze said:

They were set to the xmp settings, i dont remember the timings, but the speed was 3200mhz. But there were no issues with just the ram set to xmp before the oc attempt

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

25 minutes ago, si1enze said:

alright, so i have no clue how or why it worked, but all i did was unplug my boot drive(nvme) and plugged it back in and everything it working. I dont understand why trying to oc my cpu caused it, but i guess im not gonna do any oc'ing for the time being

Spoiler