Possible Upgrade Pathway?

Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

-> Moved to New Builds and Planning

Before the big C struck I had a job, then it happen and I didn't have a job. But, I once more have a job so, time to spend money upgrading PC. Which is going to be my first upgrade so I thought I'd just ask here with with the people who know what they're doing.

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 (CPUSocket)

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 @ 3.50GHz
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology

GPU: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Ram: 8.00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1200MHz (16-16-16-39)
it says Ballistix on the stick, but I don't know anything else besides that

I don't know what the power supply is right now, I'll have to take it apart to see what it is.

You might be asking how I don't know deals of my own PC. Well, a friend of mine help me build it and he brought the parts for me (using my own money) and I just don't know some things, such as ram and power.

If you have any Q:s or if I have left anything out, I can try to dig up more info if you need it.

Honestly, the first thing I would probably do is take out that single stick of RAM and replace it for two matching sticks for dual channel. Doing that alone will likely give you a much longer lasting rig with just that small change, especially since games prefer dual channel over single. Doesn't have to be an upgrade to 16GB though, I reckon it would struggle to reach that amount without a CPU upgrade, this is of course dependent on the games you play and any work related tasks that you do as well. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

8 minutes ago, BotherRed said:

You might be asking how I don't know deals of my own PC. Well, a friend of mine help me build it and he brought the parts for me (using my own money) and I just don't know some things, such as ram and power.

Nothing wrong with that, thats perfectly human. Whats your budget?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Just now, SorryClaire said:

Nothing wrong with that, thats perfectly human. Whats your budget?

Budget will be what ever I want, sounds odd but I would like to set this as a goal for myself. 
Plan it out then save up money until then. I know it won't be too extream for one as getting the bleeding edge of compoints such as a Thread Ripper or 3080 Ti would be impossible with out buying other parts such a new power supply to feed them, a motherbord that could handle them, etc. 

So budget isn't a factor here. I just would like to know what I should/could get and then work towards that goal.

4 minutes ago, Brennan Price said:

Honestly, the first thing I would probably do is take out that single stick of RAM and replace it for two matching sticks for dual channel. Doing that alone will likely give you a much longer lasting rig with just that small change, especially since games prefer dual channel over single. Doesn't have to be an upgrade to 16GB though, I reckon it would struggle to reach that amount without a CPU upgrade, this is of course dependent on the games you play and any work related tasks that you do as well. 

Do you have a recommendation for ram? 

31 minutes ago, BotherRed said:

ASRock B250M Pro4

This will be your limiting factors for "cheap" upgrades.

It'll only support RAM up to 2400 MHZ. 

The "best" CPU you could run in that board is an i7-7700k. 

With that in mind, here's a budget set of 2x8 RAM at 2400 MHZ. This is what I would do first. You'll likely get a noticeable jump in performance for just that.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2ZsmP6/gskill-ripjaws-v-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-2400-memory-f4-2400c17d-16gvr

The 7700k looks to be ranging from about $130 used to $260 new and about everywhere in between the two prices. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=i7-7700k&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

31 minutes ago, BotherRed said:

Ram: 8.00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1200MHz (16-16-16-39)

If you're using task manager to see RAM speed, this is actually a 2400 mhz stick. DDR stands for double data rate, and Task Manager doesn't report the "double"

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, BotherRed said:

Oh also, does anyone know if the ASRock B250M Pro4 has T-Topology or Daisy Chain for the ram. I remember that was imporant from here

2 minutes ago, BotherRed said:

So budget isn't a factor here

So you don't mind spending scaler prices for dual 3090 in SLI and a 5950x? Pretty sure you do. Either estimate the budget, or tell what performance do you expect, ex. "1080p60 medium" or "1440p120 high". There is about a dozen GPUs worth upgrading to, you must specify something.

Just now, IkeaGnome said:

If you're using task manager to see RAM speed, this is actually a 2400 mhz stick. DDR stands for double data rate, and Task Manager doesn't report the "double"

I was using Speccy to view everything

Just now, Ydfhlx said:

So you don't mind spending scaler prices for dual 3090 in SLI and a 5950x? Pretty sure you do. Either estimate the budget, or tell what performance do you expect, ex. "1080p60 medium" or "1440p120 high". There is about a dozen GPUs worth upgrading to, you must specify something.

I honistly don't, but going to something like that would just be a whole new build all together would it not?

9 minutes ago, BotherRed said:

I wish I did but I don't have any systems that utilise DDR4 RAM so is difficult for me to recommend any without first hand experience. 

Search for the most popular and most reviewed ones though as these likely have the best compatibility with your system plus having less failure rate. 

I'm sure there are plenty of other users on this forum that could recommend the best stuff to use. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

4 minutes ago, BotherRed said:

Oh also, does anyone know if the ASRock B250M Pro4 has T-Topology or Daisy Chain for the ram

Doesnt matter unless you literally gonna run 1.45v, extreme overclock on it.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

7 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

I know I'm just being a pain here but task manager does report the "Double". I've got 1600MHz mem and it defo says 1600MHz in Task manager. 

I agree with your take on the rest of the upgrade path though as I'd likely do the same 🙂 

My Rig:

2 minutes ago, Brennan Price said:

I know I'm just being a pain here but task manager does report the "Double". I've got 1600MHz mem and it defo says 1600MHz in Task manager. 

It's been a long rotation at work. Almost Friday. Fried brain. 

Thanks for correcting me

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

16 minutes ago, BotherRed said:

I would just get another crucial 8gb stick of the same frequency

16 minutes ago, Ydfhlx said:

Unless OP's going to be OC'ing thats WAY overkill end up coughing up like 5x the cost the PC for a single GPU muchless TWO of them and 30 series. 

I love PC building and gaming. 
REMEMBER botttlenecks can happen at all points of a PC part. Make sure you are at equilibrium. For all parts unless you intend to upgrade at a later point. Also QA Tested AAA Games.

A solid 3080 with like a 5950x and like 16 GB's 3200 mhz Ram and you should be able to do 4K or 1440 with ease.

Extra GPU's are mostly for OC'ing and just flexing hardware at this point maybe in 8 maybe 10 years SLI'ing will be relevant with future gaming MAYBE. But that probably won't be happening so long as the silicon "chip" shortage is going on.

I'm putting quotation marks on the chips part cause so many hardware hardcore nerds call them silicon like the metal but in reality we got plenty of the metal. We mean the actual chips. 

I love PC building and gaming. 
REMEMBER botttlenecks can happen at all points of a PC part. Make sure you are at equilibrium. For all parts unless you intend to upgrade at a later point. Also QA Tested AAA Games.

-> Moved to New Builds and Planning

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 5 weeks later...

Alright, a bit of an update to this. I have enough money to buy the parts that I want, but I would like to try my hand at watercooling both for the experance as well as making my PC slightly more quite. But I once again need help on this front. The CPU I will be using is the Intel Core i7-7700k as it was recomanded to me here in this form, as well as the case I am currenly using. A Coolermaster MasterBox 5 with support for "240/280 mm radiator, up to 60mm thickness without fan" so I am woundering what watercoolers I should be looking for?

I saw one I was interested in but it was build for Ryzen Threadrippers, which, isn't the CPU I am using. Any help?