600-700$ build. Which is better graphics card?

Steeler1994

Hey! I am building my first computer and need some information. I've come to a crossroad on which card i should buy. I have a 600-700$ budget and need a graphics card. I've narrowed it down to the Nvidia GTX 660 SC or the Radeon r9 270x. 

CPU:  AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($107.99 @ NCIX US) 

Motherboard:  Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Micro Center) 

Memory:  Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($57.99 @ Newegg) 

Video Card:  Club 3D Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card  ($179.99 @ NCIX US) 

Case:  Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 

Power Supply:  Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 

Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($84.98 @ OutletPC) 

Total: $720.88

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-29 15:37 EDT-0400)

CPU:  AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($107.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard:  Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Micro Center) 
Memory:  Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($57.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card:  Club 3D Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card  ($179.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case:  Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply:  Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($84.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $720.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-29 15:37 EDT-0400)

Is 430w enough?

Is 430w enough?

Should be. The 270X isn't a very power hungry card.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

I have to admit, I would usally be the nvidia fan boy, but by the looks of the two cards I would definitely go with the R9 270x. Infact I am using a Sapphire R9 270X OC as we speak. Great performance for the price, and plays my games on quite high settings.

Connor Freebairn - ConnorFreebairn@newman.cumbria.sch.uk
IT Technician & Certified computer geek.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ilog

This is what i was planning for my build. I need recommendations if possible.

Why not pirate the windows and get yourself a nice Pro version for free so that you can invest in a better GPU :D

Why not pirate the windows and get yourself a nice Pro version for free so that you can invest in a better GPU :D

Thats basicly what I did a few months ago B) .

Connor Freebairn - ConnorFreebairn@newman.cumbria.sch.uk
IT Technician & Certified computer geek.

How do i go about pirating it? Would it still let me update windows?

I have to admit, I would usally be the nvidia fan boy, but by the looks of the two cards I would definitely go with the R9 270x. Infact I am using a Sapphire R9 270X OC as we speak. Great performance for the price, and plays my games on quite high settings.

I have a SAPPHIRE HD 6970 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102957 ) and it runs me well (I overclocked it, just a bit). Planning to sell this card to my freind (he wants to buy it but has no $ or job now, lol) and buy a EVGA 760 (4 gig ram) ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130944 ).

Personally i would downgrade the CPU and get a better gpu if you can. You can get some decent AMD CPUs for aroudn 80-90$ and with that money saved you might be able to pick up a 760.

If your budget is $600-700 for the entire build I think you should be looking at Kaveri and then adding another R7 for CF.  That will give you enough performance for 1080p while remaining extraordinarily inexpensive.  Of course if you want more performance then you could go with something discrete and forget the IGP but that is a very small budget for that route...

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res