Ethernet Adapter not showing up in device manager/network connections

AntonChigurh

So I recently had to move my PC out of my office, and therefore bought a wifi card since I couldn't use an ethernet connection anymore. However, I've moved my PC back into my office and I am trying to use an Ethernet connection again since it's faster. But for some reason, after having installed the wifi card, windows doesn't seem to think my PC is even CAPABLE of having an ethernet connection, despite the fact that I have a working CAT5 cable plugged directly into my router from my mobo. There is no ethernet adapter in device manager, and no ethernet connection in network connections. I'm pulling my hair out trying to fix this, and any help at all is appreciated.unknown.png

image.thumb.png.c387eac50e06ad9406e921bf62d67a21.png

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Did you try removing the Wi-Fi NIC? Windows can be temperamental like that when it comes to networking.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Did you try removing the Wi-Fi NIC? Windows can be temperamental like that when it comes to networking.

I did try once before, yes. However, no results. If you'd like I can try again.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

2 minutes ago, AntonChigurh said:

I did try once before, yes. However, no results. If you'd like I can try again.

In my opinion I would leave the Wi-Fi NIC out if it's not going to be actively used at this time. It adds unnecessary complexity and given Windows tendencies you could find yourself with Wi-Fi performance on a Wired connection because Windows decides to default to the Wi-Fi for no good reason. (There's ways around this but why bother if the Wi-Fi isn't needed.)

This isn't the first time I've dealt with NIC's not showing up in Network Connections but the fact you're not seeing it in Device Manager and you have no entry for unrecognized devices makes me think Windows isn't seeing the NIC period.

What are the chances you disabled the NIC in the BIOS? Do you get any activity indicator LED's on the port?

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

In my opinion I would leave the Wi-Fi NIC out if it's not going to be actively used at this time. It adds unnecessary complexity and given Windows tendencies you could find yourself with Wi-Fi performance on a Wired connection because Windows decides to default to the Wi-Fi for no good reason. (There's ways around this but why bother if the Wi-Fi isn't needed.)

This isn't the first time I've dealt with NIC's not showing up in Network Connections but the fact you're not seeing it in Device Manager and you have no entry for unrecognized devices makes me think Windows isn't seeing the NIC period.

What are the chances you disabled the NIC in the BIOS? Do you get any activity indicator LED's on the port?

The Wi-Fi NIC is currently the only way I can use internet on this machine so it is somewhat needed but I'll happily take it out if I can find a surefire solution to getting my ethernet connection back.

Also, I checked MSI click bios and I didn't see any kind of option to disable/enable ethernet connections. The only network related setting was enable/disable LAN PCIe related shenanigans. As for activity indicator LEDs, I don't know what they'd look like or where they'd be located on my mobo.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

The Wi-Fi NIC is currently the only way I can use internet on this machine so it is somewhat needed but I'll happily take it out if I can find a surefire solution to getting my ethernet connection back.

Also, I checked MSI click bios and I didn't see any kind of option to disable/enable ethernet connections. The only network related setting was enable/disable LAN PCIe related shenanigans. As for activity indicator LEDs, I don't know what they'd look like or where they'd be located on my mobo.

That's the idea. If/when we get Ethernet working again don't leave the Wi-Fi NIC in there. That or disable it. Save yourself a headache down the road.

Where you plug the Ethernet cable into the motherboard there should be two LED's connected/next to the port. The color can vary but one should be solid the other should be blinking. These indicate that there is a working link between the port and the switch (solid), the other indicates activity on the link(blinking).

8 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

That's the idea. If/when we get Ethernet working again don't leave the Wi-Fi NIC in there. That or disable it. Save yourself a headache down the road.

Where you plug the Ethernet cable into the motherboard there should be two LED's connected/next to the port. The color can vary but one should be solid the other should be blinking. These indicate that there is a working link between the port and the switch (solid), the other indicates activity on the link(blinking).

I'm assuming these LEDs would be on the back where the IO shield is. Anyways, I do not see any LEDs on/blinking near that port.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 minute ago, AntonChigurh said:

I'm assuming these LEDs would be on the back where the IO shield is. Anyways, I do not see any LEDs on/blinking near that port.

Although this would not explain why Windows isn't showing the interface just for shits'n'giggles did you verify that the cable both works and is connected at the other end by using another computer?

Additionally are there any lights at all when you initially connect the cable and wait a few seconds or none what-so-ever?

9 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Although this would not explain why Windows isn't showing the interface just for shits'n'giggles did you verify that the cable both works and is connected at the other end by using another computer?

Additionally are there any lights at all when you initially connect the cable and wait a few seconds or none what-so-ever?

Unfortunately I do not have another computer with which to test the cable, but the cable is connected at both ends. Also, I have used 3 other CAT5 cables to make sure it isn't just a faulty cable and none of them worked either.

Also, no lights at all. Although, looking more closely at the back of my mobo, I don't even see any lights there in the first place. The IO shield covers everything except the ports.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Unfortunately I do not have another computer with which to test the cable, but the cable is connected at both ends. Also, I have used 3 other CAT5 cables to make sure it isn't just a faulty cable and none of them worked either.

Also, no lights at all. Although, looking more closely at the back of my mobo, I don't even see any lights there in the first place. The IO shield covers everything except the ports.

Can you boot another OS? A clean install of Windows or something like Ubuntu from USB? This would help identify if this is just a software issue.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Can you boot another OS? A clean install of Windows or something like Ubuntu from USB? This would help identify if this is just a software issue.

I have to leave for work in a few minutes, but I will try this later tonight and get back with the results.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540