Is this overkill

jgminer15

Im currently making a new pc and i want to use https://www.amazon.com/ROG-RYUO-240-Radiator-Control/dp/B07H2MHYY5?th=1 as my cooling. I'm using this one because of the screen
im planning using it on https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9nm323/amd-ryzen-5-3600-36-thz-6-core-processor-100-100000031box i made another post and people said aios are overkill. I don't care if its over kill or not i just want an aio with a screen thats cheap
if you have a cheaper one please suggest it.

(before coming after my grammar i dont care about typos)

3 minutes ago, jgminer15 said:

I don't care if its over kill or not i just want an aio with a screen thats cheap

A fulfilled by amazon listing for that thing is 220$, meanwhile Z63 costs 250$ (but its a 280mm), and Aorus RGB AIO 240mm costs 210$. So if you want 10$ cheaper, gigabyte aorus is your option. https://www.amazon.com/AORUS-280-Radiator-Windforce-Customizable/dp/B07YZ2NCR5/

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

31 minutes ago, jgminer15 said:

Im currently making a new pc and i want to use https://www.amazon.com/ROG-RYUO-240-Radiator-Control/dp/B07H2MHYY5?th=1 as my cooling. I'm using this one because of the screen
im planning using it on https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9nm323/amd-ryzen-5-3600-36-thz-6-core-processor-100-100000031box i made another post and people said aios are overkill. I don't care if its over kill or not i just want an aio with a screen thats cheap
if you have a cheaper one please suggest it.

(before coming after my grammar i dont care about typos)

What does your choice of cpu cooler have to do with your monitor?  You should be able to find a more-than-adequate cooler for a 3600 for around $30. Even the stock cooler for those things is OK because overclocking them doesn’t do all that much functionally. 240mm AIOs generally host between $65 and $150.  It then depends on how much paying more for this cooler saves you elsewhere. The AIO will definitely work anyway.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

32 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

What does your choice of cpu cooler have to do with your monitor?  You should be able to find a more-than-adequate cooler for a 3600 for around $30. Even the stock cooler for those things is OK because overclocking them doesn’t do all that much functionally. 240mm AIOs generally host between $65 and $150.  It then depends on how much paying more for this cooler saves you elsewhere. The AIO will definitely work anyway.

He means the screen on the waterblock/pump. 

2 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Ah.  I wash my hands of this then.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

yea i gave up on that im going for a plain water block now

4 hours ago, jgminer15 said:

yea i gave up on that im going for a plain water block now

if thats the case go with an air cooler.

get a scythe fuma 2

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, davemc said:

if thats the case go with an air cooler.

get a scythe fuma 2

Even that’s a lot for a mere 3600.  Thats a fo’ realz 65w chip (not all the AMD chips listed as running at 65w actually do, but that one seems to) 

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Even that’s a lot for a mere 3600.  Thats a fo’ realz 65w chip (not all the AMD chips listed as running at 65w actually do, but that one seems to) 

He seems to have a decent budget, the Fuma 2 will allow for OC'ing as well as upgrades.

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

9 hours ago, davemc said:

He seems to have a decent budget, the Fuma 2 will allow for OC'ing as well as upgrades.

I don’t think the overclock will do much, but if he wants to eventually get a 5xxx chip it could be useful.  A fuma2 isn’t particularly generous for a 5950 though.  An AIO might not last long enough for that to happen.  At the end of the day it’s a device with moving parts that are lubricated with water. It’s not exactly a helium bearing. There seem to be three choices: go for cooling the 3600, go for cooling what could replace the 3600 but stay air (which would last long enough. Air coolers have no moving parts) and merely possibly have enough for a future chip.  Or go water which will definitely be enough but might not last long enough. 1 and failure of two or 3 would require a cooler swap when the chip is upgraded.  If it is upgraded.

It kind of depends on which direction one wants to bet on the future.  Choice 1 is no bet. Choice 2 spends more money now and could save some later depending on what is upgraded to.  Choice 3 would be enough regardless but spends even more money and bets on the service life of the AIO being longer than I think it will be.  I like 2 over 3 myself. I also like 1 over 2 though it’s kind of marginal. 1 wins if the cost difference between a low cost air cooler and whichever higher cost one that the motherboard will go with the 3600.  Not sure which is best.  The future is hard to predict.