Rubber Duck Check for future upgrade planning.

Fyndir

Budget (including currency): (GBP) £1,500 upgrades

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  Primarily single monitor 1080p gaming with the aim of making use of 144hz where possible, notable titles I've been playing recently include ARMA 3, FFXIV, Rimworld, and Horizon Zero Dawn.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): The attached image is the build I restarted with in early 2020 after my old computer was lost in a fire in late 2019, in the time since then I have made a couple of changes like adding an aftermarket CPU cooler, a big HDD for backup storage, and upgrading the RAM.  All peripherals are taken care of as well.

I had been looking at potentially upgrading the GPU this year but as I'm sure you are all more than aware of the challenges involved in that, so instead I've started thinking about broader system upgrades.  One thing I would note here is that I have a deep seated anxiety around water cooling, even in AIO setups, so my overwhelming preference is to stick to air cooling.

My upgrade plans would be a new CPU, a new bigger case, and a new power supply so that if I get my hands on a new GPU I'm ready to go without any other problems to solve, which takes us to the PC part picker link below which has my current cooler, motherboard, RAM, storage, and GPU in addition to those upgrades.

The question is whether or not any part of this is sensible, or if I am being ridiculous?  Thank you to anyone who has any insight or wisdom to share.

Clipboard02.jpg

Edited by Fyndir
Fixing a mistake in the link

2 minutes ago, Fyndir said:

my old computer was lost in a fire in late 2019

2 year late, but my condolences.

4 minutes ago, Fyndir said:

which takes us to the PC part picker link below which has my current cooler, motherboard, RAM, storage, and GPU in addition to those upgrades.

You forgot to mark your existing part as purchased. But this is my change to your build with your budget:

That leaves you with 820 pounds with GPUs and other creature comfort that you want.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Just edited @SorryClaires list. Just changed the cooler, case, and PSU.

Went with the RM over RMx because the extra 20 for the rmx isn't worth it. The RM is a bit worse and has a worse fan but it's still a good PSU.

4000D airflow. Corsair, cheaper, much better airflow

-Scythe Mugen because it's still a good cooler, and it's a bit cheaper.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

9 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

2 year late, but my condolences.

You forgot to mark your existing part as purchased. 

Thank you, and you're absolutely right I did forget to do that.  Whoops.

This should be accurate now and properly reflect the parts that I have, will edit into the original post if I can.  Sorry for any confusion and wasted time!