Constant crashes, freezing, and restarting

seraphim525

Good morning, 

This is my current build, 

there is a standard air cooler on the CPU I just did not know the name or brand of it. 

I am having constant issues with the system, restarting, crashing, and freezing, sometimes this happens once a day and sometimes it happens 5 times in an hour. Most of the time I get no error message and sometimes it gives me a CPU over temperature error. I have been using NZXT to pay attention to the CPU temp and under no load, right now for instance it hovers around, 88C. While under load playing a game such as FFXIV, it bounces between 90-95C. I have reapplied thermal paste as it is a 6 year old computer at this point. all of the fans are spinning and it is regularly cleaned out. I've had this problem for a couple years now but it recently started to get worse enough that it's become distracting during gameplay. 

I realize this is not enough to go on probably but any helpful tips on where to gather more information I would be happy to do. 

Thank you in advance and have a great day!

5 minutes ago, seraphim525 said:

Good morning, 

This is my current build, 

there is a standard air cooler on the CPU I just did not know the name or brand of it. 

I am having constant issues with the system, restarting, crashing, and freezing, sometimes this happens once a day and sometimes it happens 5 times in an hour. Most of the time I get no error message and sometimes it gives me a CPU over temperature error. I have been using NZXT to pay attention to the CPU temp and under no load, right now for instance it hovers around, 88C. While under load playing a game such as FFXIV, it bounces between 90-95C. I have reapplied thermal paste as it is a 6 year old computer at this point. all of the fans are spinning and it is regularly cleaned out. I've had this problem for a couple years now but it recently started to get worse enough that it's become distracting during gameplay. 

I realize this is not enough to go on probably but any helpful tips on where to gather more information I would be happy to do. 

Thank you in advance and have a great day!

If you have the stock cooler on, it is probably not able to handle the heat of the processor, which in terms results in the CPU throttling itself. Can you post a picture of the computer insides, so that we can verify which cooler it currently has? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Sure thing, here is a picture of the cooler. I only installed the NZXT CAM software last week so I know that is not the cause because it has been doing this for a couple years.IMG_1649.thumb.jpeg.9333f8ca731ae45ad2b6b88a118071ee.jpeg

2 hours ago, seraphim525 said:

Sure thing, here is a picture of the cooler. I only installed the NZXT CAM software last week so I know that is not the cause because it has been doing this for a couple years.IMG_1649.thumb.jpeg.9333f8ca731ae45ad2b6b88a118071ee.jpeg

Yup, that is the Intel stock cooler and it is pretty crappy. I would recommend getting a tower cooler. Pretty much any will be far better than what you currently have. If you are on a budget something like the Hyper 212 or the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports are good options. Doing a clean windows reinstall will also help in speeding up your computer. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

5 minutes ago, Analog said:

Yup, that is the Intel stock cooler and it is pretty crappy. I would recommend getting a tower cooler. Pretty much any will be far better than what you currently have. If you are on a budget something like the Hyper 212 or the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports are good options. Doing a clean windows reinstall will also help in speeding up your computer. 

Sounds good I will give that a shot thank you!

On 4/22/2021 at 1:20 PM, Analog said:

Hey Analog, thank you for the suggestion, finally got the new cooler in, long shipping, and it worked like a charm, it now sits at around 50 degrees, also one thing I noticed while I was looking at the BIOS I had the ASUS tweaker settings turned to auto so it was automatically overclocking the cpu which probably didn't help things.

Any way, thank you again!

14 hours ago, seraphim525 said:

Hey Analog, thank you for the suggestion, finally got the new cooler in, long shipping, and it worked like a charm, it now sits at around 50 degrees, also one thing I noticed while I was looking at the BIOS I had the ASUS tweaker settings turned to auto so it was automatically overclocking the cpu which probably didn't help things.

Any way, thank you again!

I am happy to hear your issue was resolved. 🙂