Google Speedtest insanely slow?

JamesHewitt

These are separate devices, imac pro and my PC, same ethernet used for the test. The PC gets the same speed on like speedtest / any other speedtest however it's oof on google.

Any idea why?

7CB0CAC8-BC9A-44A8-9BC5-7D49C0B932B9.jpeg.5cd81dd6db4e3360baf645b67ea8c070.jpeg8723A1AB-40FD-41AE-B5B7-038F54574F9B.jpeg.e857c4635291d889968f9ab882a2d060.jpeg

What programs do you have running? that could be effecting the speed. maybe its just google being google?

also 666.9 pretty sick

Main PC: the literature club machine

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

1 hour ago, JamesHewitt said:

Any idea why?

Depends on how close you are to the speed test server and whether the route to that server has any slowdowns in the path.

From personal experience, I tend to get slower speeds on Google’s speed tests as well compared to speedtest.net, dslreports.com and even fast.com. Speedtest.net might give better results for most people since they have quite a few servers around the world, many of which are hosted by ISPs.

I wouldn’t worry about it if at least speedtest.net is showing close to what you’re paying for from your ISP.

18 hours ago, mon1ka said:

What programs do you have running? that could be effecting the speed. maybe its just google being google?

also 666.9 pretty sick

Sorry for late response, i sent this at like midnight. And nothing which was using internet tbh and the PC is decent (3700x/3080/32gb/1tb NVME)

I assume it's google being google but all speedtest results are slower on my PC rather than my mac (usually around 550 on the PC rather than 1gb on my iMac.) However things like Steam download at 115mbs on PC which is pog.

18 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Depends on how close you are to the speed test server and whether the route to that server has any slowdowns in the path.

From personal experience, I tend to get slower speeds on Google’s speed tests as well compared to speedtest.net, dslreports.com and even fast.com. Speedtest.net might give better results for most people since they have quite a few servers around the world, many of which are hosted by ISPs.

I wouldn’t worry about it if at least speedtest.net is showing close to what you’re paying for from your ISP.

Sorry for late response, i sent this at like midnight.

I am pretty close to the server and my iMac gets up to 1gb using the same ethernet cable. My PC however doesn't for some odd reason.

All speedtests are slower on the PC however if I download it will go up to 1gb (eg steam). Just usually speedtests are around 5-600 mb but google is at 20 which is why I am confusion.

10 hours ago, JamesHewitt said:

All speedtests are slower on the PC however if I download it will go up to 1gb (eg steam). Just usually speedtests are around 5-600 mb but google is at 20 which is why I am confusion.

As long as real-world speed is unaffected, I'd just not worry about it.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7