I can't seem to get ZFS to work in Deepin OS and really don't want to change OS. I'm tempted to just do RAID 0 through BIOS -OR- Ubuntu with Deepin DDE and am hoping ZFS works without tweaking. Any help, suggestions or alternatives to ZFS?

Error recieved;
The ZFS modules are not loaded. Try running '/sbin/modprobe zfs' as root to load them.

I'm still learning linux but have been using it as a local file server between my computers to share files, I was using an Intel NUC with a couple Mediasonic ProBox HF2-SU3S2 4 Bay 3.5” SATA HDD Enclosures but recently decided to go with the following build:

Case: Fractal Design Define 7 XL

Motherboard: ASRock X299 Taichi ATX Intel Socket LGA 2066
CPU: Intel Core i7-9800X
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Black
RAM: (x4) Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB
Storage: SAMSUNG (MZ-V7S1T0B/AM) 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe
(x4) HDD 8TB
(x3) HDD 8TB (Backup)

PSU: Corsair 750watt HX
PCIe: Nvidia 1060 6Gb

HOw did you install zfs?

Did you run zfs/zpool comands as root?

If you want altermatives to zfs, btrfs and md do simmilar things and are much better than bios raid.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

HOw did you install zfs?

Did you run zfs/zpool comands as root?

If you want altermatives to zfs, btrfs and md do simmilar things and are much better than bios raid.

Installed using:
sudo apt-get install zfs-dkms zfsutils-linux

Tested with:
sudo zfs list

Error Recieved:
The ZFS modules are not loaded. Try running '/sbin/modprobe zfs' as root to load them.

Yeah, I think I'll switch to Ubuntu with Deepin DDE and hope ZFS works on that. Using Deepin OS has been nice but knowing that its support is slim and in Chinese has been difficult.

Did you do what the error says to and try loading the zfs modules with modprobe?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Yes:
modprobe:  Fatal: Module zfs not found in directory /lib/modules/5.10.18-amd64-desktop

2 minutes ago, Treuen_Ritter said:

Yes:
modprobe:  Fatal: Module zfs not found in directory /lib/modules/5.10.18-amd64-desktop

You cn probably manually compile zfs and it should work here here

But yea, use a more common distro for better support.

• 4 months later...

I installed Ubuntu with a Deepin DE and successfully combined (3) HDDs together. The system would freeze, so I'd restart and I would have to enter a command to reconnect to my pool each time. It also made me nervous about if I were to reinstall the OS, I couldn't trust I'd be able to simply reconnect to my Data pool afterwards. Additionally my SPDIF optical sound driver was no longer supported (common for many linux OS's).

I decided any kind of software RAID options wasn't worth the read and write speed. I created a motherboard RAID for (3) 8Tb and purchased an 18Tb HDD to help shift my data through the transition. I then reverted back to Deepin linux because I enjoy its simplicity and aesthetics. I know I'm not being patient enough to learn about the problem but I treat my computers like a tool that I just want to work from the start, besides, if I have to make tweaks then I can't recommend the process to others.